Clogged Line

Originally Posted By: GeorgeM
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am bringing a home inspector to inspect the end row unit I will be buying. The seller mentioned in his disclosure that a line is clogged and she will bring a plumber to unclog it.

Is it recommended to hire a company (eg Roto Rooter) to come and run a camera through the pipe to determine if there is a break in the line that is clogged ?

Also, what is a fair price to pay for the pipe camera inspection for and end row built in 1980 and is approx 1,234 sq feet (2 floors + unfinished basement) ?

Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

GeorgeM wrote:
I am bringing a home inspector to inspect the end row unit I will be buying. The seller mentioned in his disclosure that a line is clogged and she will bring a plumber to unclog it.

How nice of her. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

GeorgeM wrote:
Is it recommended to hire a company (eg Roto Rooter) to come and run a camera through the pipe to determine if there is a break in the line that is clogged ?

It certainly is not a bad idea. My brother bought a property (uninspected) and didn't find out until about week after moving in that his main sewer line was not connect to the city sewer system. Looks like it was accidently ripped out during other excavation work.

GeorgeM wrote:
Also, what is a fair price to pay for the pipe camera inspection for and end row built in 1980 and is approx 1,234 sq feet (2 floors + unfinished basement) ?

That depends on where you are. I'm in Canada and I'm sure anything I quote won't mean anything if you are in the states or elsewhere.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !