Closet Incandescent Clearance ?

(B) Luminaire (Fixture) Types Permitted. Listed luminaires (fixtures) of the following types shall be permitted to be installed in a closet:
(1) A surface-mounted or recessed incandescent luminaire (fixture) with **a completely enclosed lamp
**(2) A surface-mounted or recessed fluorescent luminaire (fixture)

© Luminaire (Fixture) Types Not Permitted. Incandescent luminaires (fixtures) with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminaires (fixtures) or lampholders shall not be permitted.

(D) Location. Luminaires (fixtures) in clothes closets shall be permitted to be installed as follows:
(1) Surface-mounted incandescent luminaires (fixtures) installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 300 mm (12 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space
(2) Surface-mounted fluorescent luminaires (fixtures) installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space
(3) Recessed incandescent luminaires (fixtures) with a completely enclosed lamp installed in the wall or the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space
(4) Recessed fluorescent luminaires (fixtures) installed in the wall or the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space

Took a long time to get there.

This looks oddly familar

Mike,

As to exposed incandescents in closets…

Are you saying they were never permitted; not permitted but overlooked by the AJH; sometimes permitted; once permitted; or never installed by a qualified/licensed electrician.

I stand by my assertion that thousand upon thousands were installed by electricians over the years. It may be a broad statement, but it remains accurate.

Joe it is more than thousands.

It’s accurate Joe.

I call all of them out, just like I call out perfectly acceptable aluminum wiring, PB piping…etc etc.

Personaly I point them out and do not make a big deal out of it when they are not near shelf storage.
I mention lack of cover.

We all grew up with them, and you try not to seem like a weenie. lol

I always recommend a covered fixture. That’s not my point. We’re a lot smarter than that.

I go back to the purist who states that it was never allowed, and points to the code. We all know that these were installed through the years. Mike took exception to my statements that multiple thousands were installed by electricians and okayed by the AHJ for time and memorium.

My statement is true. Millions may have been installed, and up until a handful of years ago, were perfectly acceptable to the electrical inspector and fire marshall.

He needs to get his head out of that… whoops… BOOK, and acknowledge the truth.

Too late:p

Robert, the light has to be away from that area they define in the graphic, basically over the vertical chimney in front.
It does appear that the “no bare bulb” language showed up in the late 70s-80s

DSCN3881 (Small).JPG

DSCN3881 (Small).JPG

Thanks Greg.
In Chicago every place built before that has them bare bulb with porcelain fixtures.
I am not even sure if you can still buy them in real porcelain anymore.
If I can add to the subject metal chains are a big no no, since they conduct chained lightning.(yuck)