Closet Light

I saw this light in a kitchen pantry today. It doesn’t have a globe. This is new construction. I thought lights in a closet had to have a globe or some sort of cover over them in new homes. Can someone confirm if there is an exception? The light isn’t near any shelving. Thanks a bunch.

IMG.jpg

IMG.jpg

Skip,

Article 410 Luminaries (Lighting Fixture), Lampholders, and Lamps

Article 410.8 (B) Luminaries (Fixture) Types Permitted. Listed. The following types of light fixtures shall be permitted to be installed in a closet. Closets (Clothes and storage) eight (8) square feet (0.74 m²) or larger one of the following type of light fixtures shall be installed:

1. A recessed incandescent fixture with a completely enclosed lamp operated by a wall switch.

2. A surface mounted or recessed fluorescent fixture with a completely enclosed tube(s) operated by a wall switch.

410.8 © Luminaries (Fixture) Types Not Permitted. The following fixtures are not permitted:
**1. Surface mounted incandescent fixture with enclosed, partially enclosed or open bulbs.
2. Pendant Style
3. Lampholders

**Exception:
**Walk-in closets of larger area where no storage exists within forty (40) inches (1016 mm) in any direction of a vertical line extending from the floor to ceiling, away from the wall, incandescent fixtures with totally enclosed bulb(s) may be used. Said light fixtures shall be operated by a wall switch.

Pantry isn’t a closet. I see them all the time in pantrys most of which is new construction.

Where did this information come from?

Unless things have changed drastically, what David posted is not what I see in new construction here in NY. Enclosed incandescant bulbs as a part of a surface mounted fixture are used all the time. The 40" rule aint adhered to. I never see florescent or recessed in closets

I don’t have a copy of the NEC, but is this all interpetation of the Code or what?
This seems to read different than what David posted.

**Closets
** 1. Closet light fixtures are listed for the use and are installed per NEC 410 (8)
a. Surface mounted incandescent fixtures installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling have a minimum clearance of 12" between the fixture and the nearest point of storage. Fluorescent fixtures have a 6" minimum clearance.
b. Recessed fluorescent fixtures or recessed incandescent fixtures with a completely enclosed lamp installed in a wall or the ceiling have a minimum 6" clearance between the fixture and the nearest point of storage space.

Marcel:) :smiley:

The National Electrical Code-2002

Clothes Closet. A non-habitable room or space intended primarily for storage of garments and apparel.

Thanks Joe.

I went out and talked to my electrician and looked at the NEC 2005 in 410.8 D. And it appears to read as such;

**Closets
**1. Closet light fixtures are listed for the use and are installed per NEC 410.8D (a. Surface mounted incandescent fixtures installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling have a minimum clearance of 12" between the fixture and the nearest point of storage.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Exact wording from 2005 NEC:

"(D) Location Luminaires (fixtures) in clothes closets shall be permitted to be installed as follows:

(1) Surface-mounted incandescent luminaires (fixtures) installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 300 mm (12 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space

(2) Surface-mounted fluorescent luminaires (fixtures) installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space

(3) Recessed incandescent luminaires (fixtures) with a completely enclosed lamp installed in the wall or the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 150 mm (6 in.) between the luminaire (fixture) and the nearest point of a storage space"

Just remember that lampholders, like the one posted in the first message, are not permitted in clothes closets.

That is what I read.

Thanks Joe.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Skip, the idea is to prevent people from stacking boxes or other materials that can start a fire in contact with the bulb.

The codes have been referenced above, but since it’s not a code inspection (unless you do code inspections) then just think about the safety of the situation. Make your call from there.

Also what would be the difference in safety between “new homes” (my red above) and older homes? :wink:

Exactly Rick, which is why I simply warn of the risks,and suggest.(on this subject matter).

For those that are intrested I would be happy assist you in your purchase of the nec. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/National-Electrical-Code-2008/National-Fire-Protection-Association/e/9780877657903/?itm=7

Regardless of the “Electrical” placement concerns in regards to a Clothes Closet…depending on the location the HI needs to make their client aware of the potential fire danger from the placement. The example is not a clothes closet obviously.

However lets all be aware of another provision of the NEC that comes into play in other areas as well.

410.5 Luminaires (Fixtures) Near Combustible Material.

Luminaires (fixtures) shall be constructed, installed, or
equipped with shades or guards so that combustible material
is not subjected to temperatures in excess of 90°C
(194°F).

Codes aside, I always call out bare bulb fixtures as a safety hazard. Certainly, there are any number of flammable materials in a pantry. In addition, even in rooms that are not specifically defined as closets (laundry rooms, for example) it is very common to see combustible items hanging on make-shift hooks or rods (hopefully not from the lamp itself) !!