Cloths Washer Discharge

Originally Posted By: rkuntz
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

During a septic dye test, I noticed that the cloth washer water discharge bypassed the septic tank and discharged at the lower end of the property. I assume that this is a problem and not allowed under present law. Although when the home was built, this setup may have been ok. I would appreciate comments from our septic experts.

Thanks

Ron Kuntz
Pro-Spect

Originally Posted By: gbell

I think you will find it to be very common to have the washer discharge away from the septic. I make the client aware of it, but also let them know it is not uncommon and why it is done.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ron,

Here in PA gray water must be discharged into the septic treatment system regardless of age. I have already written our PA DEP to confirm that this is correct and they have indeed confirmed it.

Since I am not sure where you are from you may want to check with your state department of environmental protection. To my knowledge it is illegal in most states and should be corrected. The owner of the property would ultimately be responsible for the cleanup costs if they were caught here in PA regardless of whether they knew about it or not.

Hope this helps.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Ron,

The washing machine discharge hose is usually disconnected from the septic system because the system is malfunctioning in some manner. I hope you stated that the system should be opened up to determine the condition of the leach field. In NJ, discharging any waste above ground is reason enough to fail the system.

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

Neal

I think many people bypass the septic tank with washer water to keep detergents out of the tank and thus they can get by without pumping the tank as often. Not legal, but it does happen here in rural PA.

Ron

Originally Posted By: jremas

You will have to see if the municipality that the inspection you performed requires you to report this to them. If not, it is in the hands of your client (remember client confidentiality) and what they decide to do with that information is up the them. Contact the SEO in each municipality you do septic inspections and ask them if anything is required to be reported that you find. Remember that we are not code enforcement officials and we are not responsible to enforce the code. PA DEP may say that it is a “no-no” which it is, but your job is to report what you find. This would be a reportable condition but nothing that would cause a system to be declared “failed” or “unsatisfactory”, whichever vocabulary your report uses.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: adufresne

Correct me if I am wrong, if the washer discharges to the septic tank,

the soapy water will kill off the little critters and soon you will have to

have the tank pumped out as it will be full. Yes, you have little critters in

your tank, their job is to eat the waste that goes in the tank.

Armand Quality Home Inspection Services

Originally Posted By: jremas

Yes, the washer discharge does kill the “critters” but it is suppose to be pumped to the septic tank. Anyone who has a septic system is well advised to be very frugal with their laundry and water useage. They are to be advised to use less water by use of limiting devices such as shower heads and low-flush toilets. This will help to prolong the life of their system. Front loading washers will also reduce water useage. The more water that flows into the tank, the better chance of pushing solids and scum out to the drain field where it will clog the pipes. Some people stopped using bleach.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598