Code Refferal on Inspection Report.

Originally Posted By: Michael M Djokovich
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

IT is My understanding that when the structures we inspect were approved and built according to one of the five model org. outline for const. as well as local minicipal, I see the use in a new home presale referal to if there is something that is discovered during inspection,As far as an older home quoting code however seems to be a real conflict A:code changes VS age of structure B:interpretation of said Problem. Having had the opportunity to work on the west coast, east,texas and south (after andrew) I’ve done and seen lots of work, To this day I find myself having to stop and really investigate when I a flag goes. I’am from So. Cal.( been thru all the shakers) the obvious speaks for itself the codes and techniques I have learned are different as are C/T Nationaly and Regionaly This difference has helped me and confused too see there’s more than one right way perhaps a dozen or more. Bottom line: Is When Inspecting a home are you giving a report on the overall condition of the structure and property at the present time. When the prop was built it was to “code” and assuming any upgrades or additons were too. Why complicate things use the KISS Principal Ok. I’m open to any response Have a great rest of today and a better tommorow icon_eek.gif icon_razz.gif Grumpy ( Till further notice) LOL

Does anyone have any leads on Job opps. arround the So.Jersey/ Philly area, Due to NJ’s legislature any opp’s outside in the tri-state will be welcomed maybe we can make a match ( ETA in NJ last week may '03)

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley

Code inspections are performed by the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) in the locale in which the construction is in progress. Home Inspections are NOT code inspections. Having said that, it is a good idea to have a general knowledge of building codes and generally accepted good (and bad) building practices as well as a general understanding of manufacturers installation instruction for common items since these take precedence over codes. Like you said, keep it simple. Follow your SOP.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Richard,

Well said.

Codes are a great reference point to let you know what is well built. Knowing how things are done in any particular area is priceless. If you know the codes you know what is considered well built vs. poorly built and now you have the firepower to slam it if you have too.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Grumpy,

Love your name, how about "Grumpy's Inspections"? Anyway, I have to third Richard's (Joe Seconded it) post. Stay away from the Dark Side and follow the SOP (although you need to know the Dark Side to stay away from it).

Bob

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

I agree with the above comments but would also note that “by code” is not always synonymous with “quality” although, in general it is a significant jump above unsupervised construction often found in some rural areas and DIY projects.

The more code references you make, the more it appears to the client as a code compliance report, which it is NOT!

Generally the code references I make are related to updated safety issues which I feel my client should be aware of even though they may not have been an issue when the home was built.

I bring it to their attention and leave the decision in their corner as to whether they want to deal with it now or later. That way they can't say that I didn't make them aware of a safety issue when the next inspector DOES!

--
Russ Meyers

Russ,

Good point about quoting codes makes you look like a code enforcement official. I have it easier than most, I can not remember anything after 5 minutes.

What were we talking about again. icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I feel I MUST know a good portion of the code and be able to find the proper references, just like I must know why Federal Pacific Electric Panels should be replaced.

I never quote code to clients. Instead I refer to it as "generally accepted building practices" or the "latests national safety standards". I do talk code with builders, electricians, plumbers, etc who ask because that is the guidance they use.

Code is the "minimum accceptable standards". Ask a builder that advertises he builds to code why he brags about building to the minimum that he can get away with.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Erby,

"Code is the "minimum acceptable standard"" is why electricians use #14. icon_cool.gif.

Informative post.

Bob

Bob,

I just could not let that one pass. Are you suggesting all light fixtures and light switches should be wired with #12? Hmmmm...sounds like you have bought stock in the electrical manufacturers! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Joe,

How many homes now days do you see where the resident has two or three power strips in a bedroom that is being used as an office or TV room? Many homes, to include new construction put 2 to three bedrooms on one circuit. Real easy to overload the 15 amp. Most sparkys that I know use 15A circuits because: 1) They're cheaper and 2) The wire is easier to pull. Adding to the problem is that most folks don't read the max watt for a luminaire and put higher wattage (most commonly 75 to 100 in a 60) in the fixture. This: 1) In combination increases the likelyhood of overload and 2) Early failure of the fixture due to heat damage to the wiring (commonly noticed by bulbs burning out quickly, sparks, smoke, fire or a combination therreof). And (last excuse) you can't backstab with #12, although I do make a lot of money replacing backstab receptacles.

I see you too like the debates. icon_smile.gif

Bob

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Bob,

I always recommend that homeowners wire most every 120v 15 or 20a circuit in the home with #12. It just makes sense...

To your comment regarding back-stabbing. Are you saying that receptacles and switches cannot accept #12 in the back-stab port? Switches definitely can, and I believe that receptacles can, as well.

Joe F

Joe,

There are some that will accept #12, but most will not. At least around here. Poor system IMHO.

Bob

Bob,

I agree. I wire the bedrooms and other rooms with two seperate circuits. Usually putting the light at the end of one of those circuits. I really take it to the extreme by using #12 for the receptacles and then switch to #14 for the light.

One the other side of the coin I believe #14 would be ok to use, just happens I like to know its there and will never have to use it, rather than wish I had because now I need it. In the house I live in now has #14 in most rooms. I never really had the need for #12 until I plugged in four air conditioners into four rooms. They just happened to all be on the same circuit, you guessed it #14. In this case I really don't think #12 would have helped me much. icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

Joe,

4 air conditioners on one #14 15 A circuit? Ah yess.... the mechanic has the worst running car syndrome. Remember, 1+1 doesn't always equal 2 in load calculations. icon_lol.gif

Bob

BTW, I have 2 of my bedrooms on one circuit, one of the rooms is my office, no problem until I try to print from the laser printer, it only dims the lights.

Bob,

You know about that broken car cause your a mechanic syndrome. I thought I was the only one guilty of that. icon_smile.gif

It is simple to fix to the printer/light problem, don't use the printer when someone is reading. icon_smile.gif HA

Joe Myers