Commercial inspections on NACHI.TV

Sounds ok by me Nick, but if it has been filming for months, why did Gerry start this thread asking if he should do a commercial inspection series for NACHI tv?

Also, Gerry’s proposed series sounds like a very basic course. I had hopes that the hands-on, live thing would be much more in-depth. What level of information is contained in teh series currently being filmed?

Because Gerry only announced his desire to do it last week. I’d much rather have Gerry’s footage.

Gerry

Very good idea! Go for it.

Nick

When is Gerry doing the T.V. commercials?:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

I heard there was a waiting list for Expert Beer Tasting Commercials. So, it could take a while for him to get a spot in the light.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_34.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_8_101.gif

Marcel

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZZ

OK - so…are these going to be the advanced courses, or basic/intro courses?

Part of the benefit of hands-on is getting a deeper look at and information about equpiment and systems. While a primer may be useful to many, I personally would like to see something with greater depth.

http://www.nachi.org/pvsholiday2006.htm

Will this count as CEU?:smiley:

Hi Michael,

as the Commercial world includes so many different build and mechanical systems I am planning to do a 2 hour introduction only at this time. A full commercial course would be a week of class time and in terms of filming and editting would take weeks to put together.

I will be doing more extensive training about commercial inspections around the country next year and will announce the schedule for that early in the new year.

Regards

Gerry

OK Gerry.

I was asking as Nick had said they “had been filming for weeks”. It is also replacing the previosuly announced hands-on training which, I had hoped, would provide the opportunity for a real, in-depth, up-close look at the differences between commercial systems and residential systems, as well as finer points of the methods of inspection.

Good luck with it, and let me know if anything more advanced is in the pipeline.

There are many of us who know very little about commercial inspecting, so starting at the beginning seems like a good idea. We could move on to more difficult levels as you have time to film episodes, or we can pursue education elsewhere.

Very true.

My point was that this is now taking the place of the previously announced “free, hands-on commercial inspection training facility”, which would have offered the opportunity for more in-depth, advanced training (as well as the basics).

I was just hoping some more advanced knowledge might be imparted.

Good luck, Gerry!

Gerry;
As usuall are doing a super job in initializeing this Commercial thing, and if their is anything I could contribute to help, please feel free to ask.

I am more into Building than Inspecting, so I would like to share that knowledge if I can.

Thanks for everything you have done.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Many of us already perform commercial inspections on varied types of real property, and would appreciate an “in-house” continuing/advanced education resource. Currently, the best thing going is CDW’s 3-day course, to the tune of $2K+ (including travel costs). The course includes eleven technical sessions, as well as information on report writing, business planning, and more. In order to create and maintain a first-rate commercial inspection training facility, you’d have to pay someone (more like several someones) to create, market, house, feed, water, and run the program. I don’t think anyone in their right mind would really expect that type of quality education/training to come gratis, but If I’m going to chunk-down $2K+ for quality training, I’d much rather that the money benefit this professional organization than Carson Dunlop Weldon.

Not a thing wrong with the NachiTV production, (or having Gerry on the road teaching), but Joe’s point is still unaddressed in several ongoing pages of this thread. If inclination, funds, or any other type of resources are lacking for the commercial training facility previously announced on this message board, just say so. I doubt members would really be offended. After all, this is the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors, not the National Association of Certified Commercial Building Inspectors. On the other hand, when someone announces that a “free, hands-on commercial inspection training facility” will be open by the end of the year, then promotes several hours of taped demonstrations instead, folks will probably have the right to think, “hmmm…expectation…not met.”

Handling business in that manner is downright weird, considering the amount of blood, sweat and tears that most successful inspector-businesspersons put into setting and meeting (or exceeding) the market’s (and their client’s) expectations.

We have to think of the membership in aggregate, not just the few who are willing and able to fly to Denver. Since we made that post we reached many thousands of members with actual class room courses in their own neighborhoods www.nachi.org/events.htm using hundreds of events in dozens of cities. But a commercial building is a different animal, we can only come up with one way to deliver it to all our members and that is via www.nachi.org/nachitv.htm If you can come up with another method, I’m all ears. Again though, we have to think wholistically.

Nick,

Wasn’t the free, hands-on commercial training center your idea? This would be another method. Instead of simply filming it, offer periodic advanced, hands on classes in the facility as originally posted.

I think my priority now is to get Gerry footage, so if you don’t mind holding a light bar every now and then, and Gerry doesn’t mind, you can attend all of them. Since I made that post I have a friend who is a commercial landlord and so instead of just one commercial building, we now have access to over 20. Commercial buildings are all a bit different so it is even better now that we have access to so many. Furthermore, we already have NACHI members doing commercial inspections regularly and we can shoot them on location too. Anyway, if it is OK with Gerry, please come for his shoot. We’ll all learn much, even the grips.

You better rent a very large facility to host it in.

I saved every email from everyone who expressed an interest in flying to Denver and doing a commercial class. I have only about 15 members interested. Lorne said he’d come out and teach the report writing portion.