Commercial Property Conditions

**Commercial Property Condition Reports Are Custom Made to **
**Meet the **Unique Needs of Each Client

All Commercial Property Condition Assessments, or inspections, are not the same. In fact, reports will vary substantially, based on the particular information clients need relative to a particular property.
Clients come from many sources.

**Owners **often need to know how well a property has been maintained, especially if they have leased the property to a business.

**Potential leasers **need to know the conditions and expected maintenance costs of those systems and building components they are agreeing to maintain during their lease period.

**Buyers **require a wide range of information depending on their intended use of the property.

The following list introduces some of the services that may be involved in Commercial Property Conditions report.

Due Diligence

To make a good decision, you need to have important information about the building. What is the condition of the roof and what is its repair history?

What kind of heating and cooling (HVAC) system does the building have; is there
a central plant system, or are there split systems, package units, boilers, chillers, cooling towers, etc?

Do the building plans indicate any significant modifications have been made to the building; are there previous environmental reports, maintenance records for HVAC, roofing, elevators, fire sprinklers, and other installed systems?

**Basic Evaluation provides valuable information on: **

������ Roofing
������ HVAC or Cooling and Heating
������ Structures, Exteriors, Interiors
������ Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical

One can also provide:

������ Repair Cost Estimates when required.
������ Five-Year Cost Projections when required.
������ Fire Sprinkler Inspections by an Independent Licensed Contractor
������ Elevator Inspections performed by State Approved and licensed Contractor
������ Phase One Environmental Assessments
������ Life Safety Review
������ ADA — Accessibility Review

Relevant Questions that a Client May ask during a Property Condition Analysis.

**How long will the roof last before needing **replacement?

How long will the heating and cooling systems (HVAC) last before needing replacement?

Is the electrical system adequate and safe?

Has the building been modified and are proper permits on file and engineering reports available?

**How about interior and exterior surfaces? **

Have they been well maintained?

When will parking areas need resurfacing or replacement?

What is the status of the building’s ADA or accessibility provisions?

What events would trigger a need to update and what are my options?

(Local jurisdictions often do not require that existing buildings adopt ADA required improvements unless the buildings are substantially altered or modified. The extent of alterations, structural repairs, or additions necessary to trigger ADA requirements may be set to a dollar amount adjusted annually by the local enforcing agency. This amount is typically in the $70,000 range. Meeting these exclusions will not necessarily prevent litigation based on state or national requirements for accessibility.)

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Hi Marcel,

That is one of the better Commercial inspection overviews that I have read, and it properly reflects the way to think about commercial inspections.

Where did that piece come from?

Regards

Gerry

Bits and pieces of what I wanted to say.

Little bit here and a little bit there.

Since I am not a writer, I have to find something to fit my needs. ha. ha.

Hi Marcel,

You did good, but then again with your experience with commercial property I would be surprised if you didn’t. :smiley:

Thanks again

Gerry

Marcel,

What are your usage fees for my plagiarism? and how soon can I start? :mrgreen:
Very clear and concise, excellent!

Thanks Barry, glad someone enjoyed it.

You guys ate the thoughts from my head.
Cut and paste time for this buckeroo.

Thanks Marcel.

Marcel,

Do you have anything in your cook book about this TPO roof from today’s inspection? It was installed five days ago… :shock:

P1010444.JPG

P1010464.JPG

P1010453.JPG

P1010451.JPG

Hi. Erol, and hope you are fairing well.

Interesting pictures ha. ha.

Did you ever think of coming friends with a TPO Roofer Installer? :wink:

Well, something is definitely wrong here.

I think this link will help. http://www.astm.org/SNEWS/AUGUST_2003/obeoli_aug03.html

TPO roofing membrane is typically installed using mechanical fasteners and plates placed along the edge of the sheet and fastened through the membrane and into the roof decking (see Figure 2). Adjoining sheets of TPO membrane are overlapped, covering the fasteners and plates, and joined together with a minimum 40 mm (1 1/2 in.) wide hot air weld.
In the field of the roof, proper membrane width and fastener spacing is determined after calculating potential uplift loads based on building height, surrounding terrain and the wind zone in which the building is located. The fastener/deck combination must exhibit adequate pull-out resistance to withstand the fastener loading generated during uplift. The membrane and the welded seam must also resist the forces generated by wind uplift. The ability of a mechanically fastened system to withstand these forces is typically evaluated using a 3.7 x 7.3 m (12 ft x 24 ft) uplift table where the system may be pressurized until failure (see Figure 3). Along the perimeter of the roof, where the highest wind loads are experienced, reduced width membrane (40 to 60 percent of the field sheet width) is installed to reduce the fastener and seam loading.
The membrane may also be fully adhered to an insulation or deck material using an adhesive. Insulation is typically secured to the deck with mechanical fasteners and the TPO membrane is adhered to the insulation (see Figure 4). This type of system is highly resistant to wind and its associated uplift forces. Since the sheet is 100 percent affixed to the substrate, the membrane does not flutter due to associated wind forces. With no sheet movement due to the 100 percent attachment of the membrane, the fully adhered system is ideal for very visible roofs such as domes or other high slope applications.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Marcel :cool:

In the attached pic do you think the patches are covering the fasteners or an attempt to seal area because the material was not tapered in the drain area?

P1010457.JPG

Since I don’t use TPO around here, it is difficult to say, but intuition tells me it is not right, or at least dose not appear right.

I think if you look at this link in the last couple of pages, you will see.

Your picture either shows repairs or they installed the attatchments over the TPO which I don’t think is correct. Fully adhered in this area would have been prudent.

Here is the link. http://www.jm.com/roofing_systems/specifications/JM_TPO_App_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps a little more.

Thanks Marcel :smiley:

You people in the commercial sector are too cool…:cool: