Composite "slate" roof curling

Does anyone have experience with the faux plastic slate roofs? This one didn’t look bad but there was a bit of curling going on the more I looked at it. Thanks in advance.

Look at the installation instructions, they may have been nailed too tight and not leaving room for expansion.

1 Like

Interesting read on the subject that may help.
Nice chimney masonry by the way. LOL

What Are the Disadvantages of Synthetic Slate Roofs?

Authentic slate proponents say no one will ever mistake synthetic slate with the real thing. Synthetics can curl, crack and disintegrate, especially in harsher climates. The flexibility of rubber and plastic means curling and cracking can occur, sometimes allowing water to seep into attics of synthetic roof owners. Tiles have discolored or faded in just a few years.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

A common problem with some composite slates. The only fix I’ve heard of is double-sided tape. I know… sounds funky.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the pictures, plastic roofing, who would have thought! Ya learn something new everyday, 430 am, I’m good for today lol

It’s hard to trust a source that says composite (synthetic) slate will outlast stone slate. The the warranties for composite slate end where the life expectancies for stone slate start.
Warranties on composite slate are typically 50 years although most of it hasn’t been around long enough to know how long it might actually last. The least durable stone slate used for roofs is probably some of the Pennsylvania slate that lasts for 50 year or more. Some of the higher quality stone slate is still going strong at over 150 years.

I agree Kenton. I’m in the heart of that Pennsylvania slate and plenty of it is over 100 years old, but this roof has the plastic version now so he’ll just have to keep an eye on it see how it goes. I wasn’t sure how old it was as of yesterday. Now at least I can say I’ve seen one roof with it I suppose.