Compression Faucet Leak

I pride myself as being the “Handy Woman” of my household. I have come across a problem that I am not sure what to do with. I have searched the internet but still cannot pinpoint my specific problem.

My compression faucet in the kitchen is leaking underneath the sink. When I turn on the water, water starts coming out right around the base of the neck of the facuet, in turn, dripping underneath my sink.

So I need help to determine exactly where the leak is coming from so I don’t waste my time pulling everything apart. I have found pictures of compression faucets that all show the assembly of the handles and their washers and such. But does the neck itself have a washer in it that could be leaking? When I feel underneath the sink, the water is dripping right underneath the facuet itself.

If any of you have any insite for me, that would be great. I would prefer to fix this on my own, so let me know how advanced this project may be.

Thanks in advance!!

Rachel

Try this

Sounds like a stem washer leak.

Do you have a photo or make and model?
I’m leaning towards the packing/“O” ring around the neck or the nut around the neck needs to be tightened.
It’s hard to say without see a pic or knowing the make and model #

Could be spout o-rings or stem packing but any leak above should not find it’s way under the sink.
The faucet should be sealed water tight to the deck.

Ok, here is a picture of my faucet. Whether I run the hot or cold water, I get a leak from right underneath the neck of the faucet… not underneath the handles.

So does it still sound like a washer problem? If so, is there a washer located in the neck of the faucet that could be leaking? Thanks in advance!!

sink.jpg

That is a fairly inexpensive faucet, by the time you dismantle it and put it back together, you will wish you went to Home Depot and bought another faucet instead of looking for replacement parts that may only be available from the manufacturer. And I don’t think that portion of the faucet comes apart either.

Just my opinion anyway.

Agreed.

That sounds fine with me. But how difficult would that project be?

Rachel

You sound like a handy women, so the project is not hard at all really.

Simply follow the new faucet manufacturers installation instructions, and remove the old faucet how ever it is attached to the underside of the sink, generally with two nuts at each side of the faucet, after you shut the water off (if the valves still function) and remove the water supply lines.

If the water valves are old and begin to leak when turned off, if your not sure how to replace the valves or turn off all the water to the house, I would call a plumber.

I always replace the supply lines and the valves if they are old also, quarter turn ball valves with braided supply lines is my material of choice for water supply to any faucet.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2replaceafaucet