Compressor Disconnect box slope inward on a vinyl wall

I would open it up and see how the power source is entering the box. If the power is coming in from the house behind the disconnect box, then try to determine if there is a weather tight connection around those wires. Screws that attach the box to the siding should “self-seal” as they go through the siding enough to keep moisture out. I would also make sure the box feels secure (screws penetrated the house sheathing).

1 Like

Bob no gaps to fill. He said that he just finished inspecting a new house. If you are inspecting a new construction home and you are not verifying that it is built properly just why are you there?

The elephant in the room is new construction inspections ARE code inspections. They are not home inspections.

Wrong. See you are not a home inspector. You have spent so much time telling home inspectors they are not code inspectors now you’re telling us new home inspections are code inspections. You need to stay in your own lane, you don’t have any clue what is done by a Home Inspector in a “New Home” inspection.

2 Likes

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information Mike, but I highly suggest you get another source. I perform home inspections on new construction all the time. This is from the newly constructed home I did a home inspection on yesterday.

1 Like

Same here Kevin.

I have been doing home inspections since 1998.

I didn’t do new construction until 2006 when my state adopted a residential code. No standard for me to use. I knew the new code was coming and I had my certification on the very first day that they went into effect.

I follow what is happening in my state. That makes me an expert here.

Home inspection SOP are written for existing structures. Why? So that there is a standard for everyone to follow. They are 2 different animals.

In Ohio NO code inspector can inspect existing residential building unless also licensed as a home inspector. And a building official can only do that in a very limited capacity.

Why did you inspect the inside of the panel?

Wrong again. When a person pulls a permit to upgrade their electric panel, an inspection is required after the work has been completed. This inspection is done by a code inspector who verifies that the work was done properly and done to current code, this same panel does not require a licensed home inspector to also inspect it.

As an expert, you should know this Mike.

2 Likes

Because that’s what my client was paying me to do and as a licensed home inspector it’s required per the state SOP.

1 Like

what are you talking about?

No it is not required. It almost was required but I got them to change the language before the SOP was adopted. Maybe you should have been there. This is all a matter of public record. A special court report was there and it was all video taped.

Let me look for the official minutes. Hold on.

If you want to pay to have the official recordings. Start here:

I’m reading the minutes. Hold on.

I don’t need anything but the SOP, when you get that changed let me know.

1301$17-1-17-Rule-N.xml (ohio.gov)

T) A licensee shall inspect a property’s readily accessible components of the electrical
system during a home inspection and report in the home inspection report the
licensee’s findings related to all of the following:
(1) Service drop;
(2) Service entrance conductors, cables and raceways;
(3) Service equipment and main disconnects;
(4) Service grounding;
(5) Interior parts or components of a service panels and subpanels;
(6) Conductors;
(7) Overcurrent protection devices;
(8) A representative sample of installed light fixtures, switches and receptacles;
(9) Ground fault circuit interrupters and arc fault circuit interrupters.
(10) Licensees shall report in the home inspection report the property’s amperage
rating service, the location of main disconnects and subpanels, the presence or
absence of any smoke or carbon monoxide alarms and the predominant branch
of circuit wiring method.

4 Likes

Funny how you keep skipping over the words readily accessible. You must know the definition. It’s in your state’s NEC.

Take a peek at the SoP and it will tell you why you are there. During a home inspection (regardless of age) I may observe deficiencies such as foundation cracking, sloping floors, rubbing or sticking doors/windows, leaks under sinks, dishwasher or AC not operational, bonnets on smoke alarms, negative ground slope, missing vent pipe boots, shingle trimmings on the roof, broken shingles…the list is extensive. I may even see safety issues such as a loose guard etc.

Many of these things are often missed or not addressed by a code inspector.

1 Like

We are discussing those who do not “say in their lane”

This is what I am complaining about:

Would you mind citing the source of your image?