Concrete block on the retaining wall

You actually found someone who talked to you??? :astonished:

Yes, but it took much trial & error :wink: Sometimes I have to go to different stores once they start to remember me :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Good for you. The closest one to me is in the next town over 30 minutes away, so I don’t get over there much. The past few times I’ve been there, they are still practicing super strict Covid protocol. They have to stay 40 feet away, usually at the end of the aisles peering around the corner, and when you approach waving with a question, they disappear. When you’re lucky enough to corner one from 10 to 15’ away, well, they throw out “that’s Bob’s section in Plumbing.” Of course you walk the length of the store to the plumbing section only to have Frank from the electrical section yell at you from two aisles over…“Bob’s at lunch!!!” At which point I drive back to my local hardware store that doesn’t carry what i’m looking for… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Shed should set on some soft of drilled piers that extend at least 2’ below the retaining wall. If in an area where it freezes, then 3 feet at least, then the weight of the shed won’t affect the wall. If built in place as planned, TIMBER!!!, in time.

Thanks for all your input.
Based on my reading above, I plan on moving the 3 posts 1.5 foot away from the retaining wall instead of being so close to the retaining wall shown in the picture.
On top of that I will dig 3 ft deeper than the foot of the retaining wall, so total about 5-6 ft down the top of the dirt.
That would be enough I guess?

It may be the picture, but it sure looks like that retaining wall is already starting to fail… was it backfilled with just dirt? Or is there drainage aggregate behind it like #57 stone?

Actually currently the retaining wall is in good shape. Possibly because of the angle that I took the picture from looks like starting to fail. Not sure about the drainage behind it. It’s about 2 ft high.

Randy being an excellent Engineer, I agree with him completely… with a bit more elaboration (from my non-engineering opinion)…

Shed distance from wall should reflect the ‘Angle of Repose’ which utilizes UNDISTURBED SOIL, thus the height of the wall + loose granular backfill + disturbed soil = Total MINIMUM setback, ie…
24" + 6" + 4" = 34 inches min. setback.

JMHO.

2 Likes