Concrete Tile Hip Rafter

Concrete Tile roofs are pretty new to me. This picture is located in the Denver area of Colorado. This hip has exposed raw wood beneath the hip caps. The other hips on this home appear to have an underlayment that wraps over the hip rafter protecting it from wind driven rains, and the elements. If you look closely you can see there is an underlayment there, but it is too short, and flipped up, thus not protecting the raw wood below. Seems like an obvious defect. However I looked at several other homes surrounding this one (not my clients) through binoculars, and was able to spot similar installations where I could observe the wood below the cap. So now my question is, is this considered an acceptable installation? I would not think so, but the fact that I see other instances makes me question it. I am going to write it up as improper installation, as everything I have found online points to it needing proper underlayment.

Thanks for your input,

Chris

20130527-SAM.jpg

NRCA recommends covering the wood nailer with underlayment, but it is optional. Mortaring the gaps is also optional.

This manual has been compiled by the Concrete Manufacturers Association (CMA) to promote good roofing practice. Good roofing practice necessitates correct design and detailing, the use of good quality materials and proper installation procedures. Provided that these are done correctly,a concrete tile roof will provide years of maintenance free service enhancing the aesthetic-appeal of the building. This manual has been compiled in compliance with the National Building Regulations, SANS 10062-2003 (Code of Practice for the fixing of concrete roof tiles) and-accepted good building practice. Liquid Roof RV Roof Repair

The link takes you a liquid rubber for RV roofs. Are you recommending this for tile roofing?

It’s not good building practice, Christopher. Snow on the roof will melt and the exposed wood will deteriorate faster than if it were properly protected. The hip cap tile (wood) backer will have a slightly shorter lifespan than it would have had it been adequately protected, but not worth making a big deal about. Worth mentioning only to show that you didn’t miss it.