condensate line

This was in a home built in 2006 . This DWV drain would have to be trapped underneath the concrete for this set up to be right, right? There was a 3" main plumbing stack about 2’ away from this 2" pipe. I understand the condensate trap isn’t a sanitary trap, like a dwv system. I also understand that condensate lines should only be tied into an “open” sanitary drain. So, HVAC peoples, should this be written up & how? Do I recommend consulting with builder due to age of home & the fact that no one has ever lived in it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

That is totally wrong unless the furnace is 90% efficient and produces its own water during the heat season. I write that up as fast as my pencil will write. I have had HVAC tech disagree with me until I ask the question what about in the heat mode when that P-trap becomes dry. They think a moment and their lips are moving but nothing coming out. Then they say well this is a positive pressure A-coil. Then I say what about when the unit is in the idle mode where does the sewer gas travel then with a dry trap. Their lips move again and nothing comes out. There face becomes red and then agreement.

You can not tap into a vent stack even with a indirect drain with trap installed that still poses the same threat the trap becomes dry and sewer gas into the attic. Same song different verse

I have one town that I inspect a lot of new construction and find that very same set up I hope soon they will get my message

This furnace is a Carrier Infinity 96, high efficiency. Thanx for your reply. I really could use some more insight on this one.

Joshua - In my area, Northern Virginia, for new construction, the condensate line (or two if there are more than one system) must drain into an open hole in the floor (along with the water heater TPR) or into a condensate pump sitting beside the unit. The system in your photo would not be allowed here. I don’t know about elsewhere… For the system pictured here, it seems to me that if there was a serious drain blockage it could potentially back up into the unit and drain into the house!

Get the city code enforcers involved. Then listen to what the contractor, HVAC goob, city inspectors and you have to say about it.

Sorry I was not paying attention to detail just glanced at your pic and was thinking attic install. The drain as installed above a slab is still wrong must have an open air gap cannot be hard piped into the 2 inch verticle riser.

It did have an open air gap at the top of the 3/4" pvc line.

Finally get it. This is how I reported it.

The A/C condensate line is hard piped into a drainage pipe without a proper air gap. If the sewer line were to back up, it could back into the HVAC system causing expensive damage. Recommend having evaluated and/or repaired by a licensed HVAC technician before close of escrow. It seems the best solution would be to run line to the nearby sump basin.

Can not see the big picture in your image but If I understand you correctly the vertical 3/4 inch is open at the top. then is as I see it hard piped into the 2 inch vertical via the P-trap. My concern is of course the possibility of sewage cross connect but the bigger problem is sewer gas entering the drain line back into the air stream of the furnace when ever the 3/4 P-trap is dry such as in the heat mode. You are correct the best solution would be to re-route to the sump basin