Condenser Location

Completed the HVAC inspection class. Thought I remembered it telling me the condenser unit cannot be installed under the drip edge of the roof. where is the code reference for this? thank you

Steve, if the class material stated this, what was the logic for the reasoning that this shouldn’t be done?

1 Like

I agree with the class material and think it should not be under the drip edge. My question is what code backs it up?

1 Like

The material may have been referring to heat pumps in colder climates and the affect of freezing snow and water may have on a condensing unit. Except for local jurisdictions regulating this type of placement, I don’t think there is any type of “national code.”

Here’s what I found in a brief search:

2 Likes

Why must code back it up? It could still be best practice without code.

3 Likes

The comment in the class was the rain dumping down on top of the condenser. Not designed for all that possible water. I agree its best practice for sure. Its for my own information to know I have teeth behind my statements

Ok, the rain statement is bunk. It is an outdoor unit - rain is not a concern.

One of the ways to get more cooling out of an ac unit is by lowering the condenser temperature (spray it with a garden hose). On a very hot day that is a technique I used to charge automobile AC systems (after repair). On hot days it would be difficult to get the complete charge installed.

6 Likes

Yup

5 Likes

Mine survived some torrential downpours this year alone. Roof drainage wouldn’t have affected it any differently. Put I agree with Bob, best practices would be to place it out from under the roofline.

3 Likes

Pretty we have “teeth” too. :wink:

1 Like

Ill review the class to confirm. thanks to all

1 Like

Not sure if you do, but I downloaded all the class PDF’s just for this reason and some refreshers when needed. Let us know if it turns out to be any different from our opinions. We all learn everyday. :wink:

2 Likes

Ice is a concern. I don’t know how many blades I’ve seen blow apart through the condenser coil.

It is “should not”, not “can not” by the way.

2 Likes

Quote “Thought I remembered it…” Not a good start…
Stay clear of code until you have a good/deep understanding of inspecting buildings. Do not box yourself in.

The National Electrical Code [NEC 110.26(A )] specifies a clear area for the service side of the unit that is 30” wide and 36” deep.

1 Like

I suspect your intention was to say: “stay clear of code in your report writing”. At least I hope so.

2 Likes

Could also be a spec from some manufacturers rather than a code.

2 Likes

I went back and looked. It was the advanced course. The entire class was videos shot a few years ago. No transcripts of the videos so without watching them all, I probably won’t find the statement. I’ll quote ‘best practice’ in my write up from now on. Thanks for everyone’s help

1 Like

I don’t quote code in my writeups but do use terms like best practice and current building practices. I personally want to know for my own information.

What is best practice? Not to put condensers under roof edges? That is not a thing.

I will happily stand corrected if someone/anyone can point to a manufacturers or code document that states otherwise for an outdoor unit.

2 Likes

I would probably consider that it may be a “better practice” not to place them under gutter-less roof lines where snow and/or freezing rain could possible affect the unit more than placing further out. Either way, the roof runoff directly onto the unit in freezing temps would most likely be more than the natural elements.