Condo Inspections

Originally Posted By: jtroth
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I would like to know what is not typically inspected when doing an inspection on a condo? And does this vary depending upon the condo association?

Originally Posted By: rwashington

For your protection, I would do the inspection as you would a stand alone structure home. Even though the buyer may not be paying for all of the roof or siding replacement, he/she should know what condition it is in. The assoc. is going to utilize assoc. fee’s on one of these kinds of repairs sometime. My fee is usually less because more times than not two exterior sides will not be inspected because of the common walls.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: sspradling

I’ve always tried to identify who is responsible for the exterior surfaces, called ahead and gotten permission to get on the roof of condos (unless they are unsafe to get on) You may also check with condo. assoc or management company if it’s ok to get into the attic.

Stu

Originally Posted By: dvalley

While booking any Condo inspections, I always advise my client (over the phone) to have their Realtor make sure we can access all common areas…Roof, boiler room, electrical room, laundry area, and any other areas of concern. Most of the time the building maintenance dept. will send a representative (on the day & time of the inspection) with keys to all common areas.

There are times where I arrive on site and the Realtor tells me that we do not have access to the common areas. I simply annotate "the areas not inspected" in the report.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks I appreciate the information.

Regarding common areas. Do you always inspect common areas? I thought those areas were always the responsibility of the condo association to maintain?

Originally Posted By: dvalley

As stated, I inspect all common areas only when accessible.

Always advise your client (and annotate on your report) that common areas are the responsibilty of the Association.

The problem is..what do they (the Association) consider to be common area. I advise my client to go over all the important information in the condo documents that they receive at closing. The condo documents will explain every little detail regarding the living areas, lots and grounds.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

thanks to all

Habitation Investigation LLC

Providing Home Inspections in Ohio

http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com

Originally Posted By: gporter

I inspect everything.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

If everything gets inspected just as a single family home then do you still alter the price or keep it the same as you would a house?

Habitation Investigation LLC

Providing Home Inspections in Ohio

http://www.homeinspectionsinohio.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Quote:
Because this is a report on a condominium inspection, we do not inspect or report on the condition of the roof, the foundation, grading and drainage, or components beyond the unit, which we believe to be the responsibility of the home owners' association.

And yes I discount the price.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello