Condo with Elevator

Unless the realtor does it first. :grinning:

Interestingly enough, if you are doing a commercial inspection following the ComSOP, it is recommended to ride all elevators and escalators (yes, I know the OP is not doing a commercial inspection).

1 Like

James - do they do first flue inspections where you live?

I couldn’t say. I didn’t build any where I currently live.

It’s not too big of a deal here anymore because we have strict burn regulations during the winter months because of the inversion that we typically get so no wood burning devices 99% of the time anyway.

1 Like

Thanxs. We do them here. Well in areas with inspections.

Ok, here are some photos of the elevator in the condo I inspected yesterday. Ended up staying that elevators are out of the scope of a home inspection and that a licensed elevator inspector should inspect all aspects of the system. Private elevators in Wisconsin only need inspection right after installation. So I treated it like a HVAC system and told the buyer it should be serviced every couple of years or what ever the elevator inspection company recommends. Once again thanks everyone for the advice.

Did you ride it?

Got a source for that statement?

No, just sent it up and down. Client did at the end of the inspection.

1 Like

I would not give you the satisfaction haha. :smile:

1 Like

Sorry, should have cited my source. Thanks.

I would expect nothing less, lol.

1 Like

Was there any inspection record on site?

IMHO, you were the last to inspect it. That means that it is your baby. Just as when I worked on an electrical system or panel. I was the last one there - that made it my baby.

Did you include any verbiage that would cover you from ‘approving’ its operation?

Just askin.

When you focus on CODE and reporting everyone, you miss what’s truly important.

Just Sayin.

2 Likes

Was it ever established who owned the elevator … the condo association, as a part of the structure, or the tenant who technically owns the defined airspace within the structure?

3 Likes

The elevator is the property of the condo owner. This was one thing I verified before the inspection and made sure the buyer was fully aware and the buyer’s agent verified it as well.

This is from the web page for the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services.
Elevators and dumbwaiters serving individual dwellings are not required to have annual operating permits
therefore are not subject to annual inspection requirements after passing the initial inspection. See stat.
101.983(2)(e).
At the time of sale of a dwelling unit, the owner and prospective buyer may enter into a contract that includes
an inspection of the elevator or dumbwaiter by a licensed elevator contractor. See stat. 101.981(3)

3 Likes