Condo with Elevator

Next week I have an inspection for a condo with a private elevator. Looking for some insight into how other inspectors deal with elevators. Besides riding the elevator up and down, not sure what else I can do. Plan on noting in the report that the elevator was functional/Not and that the buyers should have an Elevator company services the system. Any thoughts should be appreciated.

Disclaim it. Any comments are a courtesy only and in no way an inspection of the unit.

9 Likes

Yes
And disclaim inspection of it. Beyond the SOP

3 Likes

way above Your pay grade…defer to an expert…

4 Likes

I wouldn’t touch any part of it, or even push the buttons, let alone ride in the thing.

As has been stated, declaim the entire thing.

1 Like

No reason not to ride it and at least check out what you can see. I would first cycle it without being in it just to make sure it works though, lol. But you can report on if it makes any unreasonable noises, whether it travels smoothly, that it stops right at the floor level without a trip hazard, and so on. Just make sure to state in the report that it was a limited visual inspection, just like we do for things like chimneys. Then recommend the client have an elevator company come give it a full inspection and certification.

6 Likes

Danger Will Robinson GIFs | Tenor

1 Like

I’ve done many condo’s in the past with elevators. I would disclaim it in my PIA and wouldn’t even mention it my your report.

2 Likes

But this is a private elevator, which I assume is inside the unit. You wouldn’t even run it up and down? I feel like the client would like someone to at least make sure it works. I would at least put it through its paces and look for any obvious damage or other concerns. But then recommend an elevator company be brought in to do a complete inspection.

3 Likes

Pop the top at the ceiling, hoist yourself up, & inspect the whole sumbich just like John McClane.

Pro tip: Keep your shoes on.

4 Likes

Nope, lol. I understand the client may want some information and I love my customers…but

https://youtu.be/9X_ViIPA-Gc

I am sure that this may vary by state. I only know about Ohio. I am not certified to do these and have no desire to take anymore tests.

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4105.02

It’s just an elevator, not a nuclear reactor. Who can resist a couple rides up and down? Of course I would send it empty first, lol. Just in case it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

Don’t get stuck in it with the agent [or do], the help may take a while to get to you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, what if “works” also means some unknown-to-the-inspector feature has been deactivated or is non-operational? Way too many issues (entrapment, etc)

Touch it and own it…so stay out of it and away from it.

3 Likes

I treat them like pools. They are not included in the inspection. Riding the elevator gives them so little information that I am not sure the risk is worth the reward. It may be best to tell them how important regular maintenance and inspection is vs a cursory looksie.

1 Like

I don’t touch elevators or elevator equipment.

There is too much that go wrong with them.

And as mentioned, some states/cities require a special license to inspect elevators. So commenting on one could be considered practicing without a license.

1 Like

The residence has an elevator. Elevators are beyond the scope of the inspection and a certified and licensed elevator inspector is recommended for further evaluation.

Enough Said!

3 Likes

Nope, I’d steer clear, I don’t ops check stair lifts either. :elevator:

If it was a permanant fixture in the actual unit, I would request further evaluation by a qualified elevator technician.

3 Likes

I had this wheelchair lift in a small commercial property last year. I rode the heck outta that thing, lol.