Condo with Elevator

Ryan it is Your business to run anyway You see fit …I believe what everyone is saying why risk sticking You neck out for something You have no business inspecting…of course if You were a master tech with the otis co in a previous life …go for it…I never certified a fireplace safe in all of my years inspecting…I left that to the qualified sweeps with the credentials…kinda the same thing, but like I said certainly Your choice…

3 Likes

So you never looked at a fireplace?

My point being, you don’t have to certify it. But you can certainly look it over. I look over fireplaces and chimneys but don’t certify them safe, and always recommend a certified fireplace/chimney inspector be brought in.

You can look at an elevator, heck, even ride it. That does not mean you are certifying it or taking the place of a certified elevator inspector. Just my 2 cents!

like I said it is Your business…

1 Like

Well, I’m the one paying the taxes on it, so I guess it is mine, lol.

1 Like

I inspected a home a couple of years ago with an elevator. I poked my head inside, took a photo of the data plate and disclaimed it. I then took the steps to the upper floors!

3 Likes

My argument is that the only thing I may have done differently was hit the up button on my way out and see if it went up to the next floor.

Just a cursory check, kinda like looking at the flames of a gas furnace. Did I tear it apart and check over the heat exchanger? No. I just looked at the visible portions and gave it a quick test.

3 Likes

You are not wrong Ryan, you can take it for a spin. Anytime we do this (step outside the SoP) we all know that we assume some additional risk.

My question is this. Did I really help the client? Because not knowing the level of maintenance or what is wrong with things I cannot see I am not sure I have given them much actionable intel.

In the end, you may be able to mitigate your risk with a crafty narrative. But is it worth it? For me, the answer is no. And there are some things I mention in my report that are out of scope even though my agreement clearly states they are not part of the inspection. Pools, septic tanks, irrigation systems and low voltage exterior lighting to name a few right off the top of my head. With these I provide some direction in which I will recommend buyer further due diligence.

I say yes, we did give the client some helpful intel.

Let’s say you pushed the up button and the elevator did not go up. Then you can say the elevator did not appear to function at the time of inspection. Let’s say it did go up, but when you went to check out the upper level elevator access, the elevator stopped with a 3 inch step up from the elevator floor to the adjacent interior floor. Or let’s say, when you ran the elevator up, it made a strange grinding noise.

These are all things that you can let your client know about so that they realize the elevator does not just need a more thorough inspection by a qualified elevator contractor, it likely needs repairs as well.

Now if the elevator works just fine and you do not observe any readily visible deficiencies, you still want to let them know that the elevator needs a thorough inspection by a qualified elevator contractor.

1 Like

Beginning with…??

I like the Fact Sheet. Any Chance someone in Wisconsin has something like this. Like my son says, “Think smarter, not harder”.

Google the State and find out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wisconsin+residential+elevator+regulations&newwindow=1&ei=Usz2Y9yVJs-E9u8P7Y-r6Ac&oq=WI+residential+elevator+regulations&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQARgAMggIIRCgARDDBDIICCEQoAEQwwQ6CggAEEcQ1gQQsAM6BggAEAcQHjoFCAAQgAQ6BQgAEIYDOgUIABCiBDoKCAAQ8QQQHhCiBEoECEEYAFCbCFj7FWCERWgBcAF4AIAB3gGIAccGkgEFMC4xLjOYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Thanks for all of the replies, always looking to increase my inspection knowledge.

I was looking at that web page earlier today. Was hoping not to reinvent the wheel.

I agree. Good post from you and a worthy conversation. Just curious, what are you going to do with this upcoming elevator?

I’m going to functionally test the elevator, so the buyers know that it’s working. Let them know it’s out of the scope of a home inspection and recommend it be inspected by a licensed elevator professional. I’m still doing research on code for the state of Wisconsin for private elevators and what are the regulations are for services and maintenance.

3 Likes

Those things are in conflict with each other.
Choose a path and stick with it (I have made my position clear earlier)

1 Like

I’m cool with disclaimer then “normal operating controls”.

Elevators are definitely a specialty inspection. I got an effective ridealong with an elevator inspector, and learned a lot about older elevators that just dumped oil into the ground below the shaft – by design. And got to see a bits of an old elevator that worked on City water pressure… and watered the lawn each time the elevator when down.

(Edit: I was there related to an oil recovery system for shaft)

4 Likes

Be sure to come back and tell us how it went! Did you find anything to report on? Also, give us some pictures of how this elevator was situated in the condo if you can!

1 Like

Thank you Ryan. You save me from having to make what would of been the same recommendation.

1 Like

I spent half my life building fireplaces and I always tell them to have a professional chimney sweep clean and inspect before use. Most of the ones I see I’d tear down but that’s just me.