copper clad aluminimum wire

Know someone who bought a home with this wire. Is it a hazard or worth being concerned about?

I have only seen this type of wire once. The conductor itself is considered safe.

should this wire of been noted on the home inspection? does it require special connectors wirenuts etc?

This type of conductor is easily mistaken for copper wiring, unless the identifying markings or cut ends of the conductors are visible, however, there are no known (documented) issues with this particular wiring that I am aware of.

No special connection devices are required.

This type of conductor is easily mistaken for copper wiring, unless the identifying markings or cut ends of the conductors are visible, however, there are no known (documented) issues with this particular wiring that I am aware of.

No special connection devices are required.

Copper-Clad Aluminum Conductors. Conductors drawn from a copper-clad aluminum rod with the copper metallurgically bonded to an aluminum core. The copper forms a minimum of 10 percent of the cross-sectional area of a solid conductor or each strand of a stranded conductor.

FPN: For aluminum and copper-clad aluminum conductors, see 310.15.

110.14 Electrical Connections

Because of different characteristics of dissimilar metals, devices such as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs shall be identified for the material of the conductor and shall be properly installed and used. Conductors of dissimilar metals shall not be intermixed in a terminal or splicing connector where physical contact occurs between dissimilar conductors (such as copper and aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum, or aluminum and copper-clad aluminum), **unless **the device is identified for the purpose and conditions of use.

**Identified (as applied to equipment).

Recognizable as suitable for the specific purpose, function, use, environment, application, and so forth, where described in a particular *Code *requirement.

[size=2]FPN: Some examples of ways to determine suitability of equipment for a specific purpose, environment, or application include investigations by a qualified testing laboratory (listing and labeling), an inspection agency, or other organizations concerned with product evaluation.
Source: 2005 NEC

[/size]

Hi to all,

I believe that the largest problem facing home inspectors is a Jeff suggested identifying copper clad.

It should also be remebered than copper clad aluminum should be sized as per standard aluminum.

Regards

Gerry

There was no mention of dissimilar conductors - only copper-clad AL - to which I stated, no special connectors are needed.

If you disagree, say so. According to the references you’ve posted, I am correct.

the wiring was clearly marked in the basement Al Cu/clad and the inspector was asked specifically about alunimum wire, should he of reported it?

CYA Yes he can not be wrong by telling what it is , he could have to expain himself for not telling what it is .
I would say Copper clad aluminum wire and move on. Roy sr

I’m having a hard time understanding you, Joe.

You cut and paste items from the NEC and elsewhere but don’t say what you think about the post at hand.

You make reference to dissimilar metals and highlight “unless” and that’s as far as you take it.

Care to expand specifically on copper clad aluminum wire usage, in your own words?

Thanks.

As jeff has stated…we are talking about ALL the conductors within the branch circuit layout being Copper Clad Alum. so it would be of SIMILAR metals…thus as jeff stated would not require anything special…

Just again make sure the connectors and terminals allow Copper Clad Alum.( AL/CU) wires to be terminated on them and that the splice wirenuts are approved as well for the same.

Report it…Yes, report what you see…and GERRY made a WONDERFUL point…Bravo Gerry…Remember it must be sized as Aluminum…Dang that Englishman knows some stuff…thehehehe

Thanks, Paul.

I did understand other’s posts…just not Joe’s.

I was hoping he could make his posts more clear and useful…or maybe it’s just me.

The fact that he did not mention the type of wiring is inconsequential (IMHO) as there are no safety issues associated with Cu-clad AL- which answers your original questiion.

Had this been solid AL wiring, he may certainly be in trouble for not mentioning it.

If you’re looking to have the inspector pay for re-wiring of the home for failing to mention the conductor material, you have no leg to stand on.

Larry…No it is not you…Trust me…you are not alone fella…:wink:

Jeff,

I did not mean report it as being a defect…Report it as the type of wire found…nothing technically wrong with Copper Clad Aluminum…just happen to personally not like it…

All my reports require me to list the type of wire found…regardless but really nothing to get overly concerned about most certainly bob…Should be fine…

I gotcha Paul. I was just responding to Mr. Hallers post where he implied that this should have been reported as a defect or as AL wiring.

Gotcha Brother…hey tell me if you see THIS image

http://nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2762&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1144739025

Uhhyep.

ok…I guess anytime a image is posted as an attachment…someone ( anyone ) could simply COPY and PASTE a link image as well…that way you are not left out;)…We cant let that happen…thehehehee…even if you WANT to be left out Mr. Pope…