Corroded connector plates or not?

This is a new construction- roof and truss are about one year old.
Multiple galvanized connector plates look abnormal with many white stains/build-ups on the surface- Do you think they are corroded?

The attic is dry- seems no water damage.
The builder did mold remediation on the whole house including attic trusses by using a branded mold remover before drywalled last year.

Do you think these plates look corroded?
One year old truss plates should look better than these, right?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thank you.

Are you serious?

If that’s the worst of what you saw, I wouldn’t saw anything other than what you were told concerning attic work or chemical treatment (which you can’t verify, so speak accordingly).

5 Likes

Agree with Dominic.

Side note…

What the hell good is 10 years? That truss system better last 75+ years!!

5 Likes

I don’t see any problem there.

3 Likes

Yup, what they said :point_up_2:

2 Likes

The new garage door track was corroded by the same mold remover(bleach and Sodium hydroxide).
The header of the garage door was full of mold growth so it was sprayed.

I updated my questions. Sorry about the confusion.

If I were the buyer I would be much more concerned about this. That’s pretty rare, mold remediation on new construction, at least in my experience.

4 Likes

My question would be more about what was going on that mold remediation was needed in a new construction?

3 Likes

why did the builder do mold remediation on a new house ???

3 Likes

what Lon said…

2 Likes

The framing was like this in the beginning so the builder did mold remediation.

Because many production builders don’t give a rats ass about fungi on framing members. I don’t know what new construction looks like where you guys live, but in my area roof trusses often have fungi growth and the same with I-joists in crawlspaces. If there is only fungi on framing members here or there? You’d have to break their arm or leg to get them to do remediation. Now, if the fungi growth is so widespread that you’re seeing the 7 colors of the rainbow throughout the attic or crawlspace? You’d have a better chance of getting the builder to remediate.

I remember one new construction several years ago where a few roof trusses were clearly left exposed to water for way too long that I could put my screwdriver right through the web/chords. Of course, the rotted trusses were installed without a second thought by the truss guys.

2 Likes

Wow! I never see anything that bad.

1 Like

Looks like either the builder or the truss manufacturer may not be storing or shipping them properly.

Are you in an area near salt water? That might explain all the corrosion.

3 Likes

Not near salt water. The builder sprayed bleach and Sodium hydroxide solution on the whole house, but didn’t follow the manufacturer’s instruction to wash the metal part after spraying. The solution has been on the connector plates and other nails for one year- this might be the reasons.

I still cannot confirm if these galvanized connector plates are corroded.
Have you seen corrosion like these happening on galvanized connector plates?
Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t recall seeing it on new construction.

You may want to defer to a SE for further evaluation since the gusset plates appears the zinc coating has been damaged or deteriorated. It certainly doesn’t appear to be in “new” condition anymore.

My guess is in the end that the Truss manufacturer needs to make the call.

Maybe one of the SEs who frequest the board will chime in.

2 Likes

@rmayo ?? Maybe Randy could give some insight.

2 Likes

Plates look fine.

5 Likes

The finish shown on the plates is typical with Hot dipped galvanized steel. The discoloration does not mean the coating has failed.

3 Likes