CPVC and PEX re pipe

This was on an inspection from today. The home was re piped recently. All visible water supply pipes inside was CPVC however as soon as I stuck my head in the attic it was all PEX. My question is, any guess on why would they do this ? Why not just go with CPVC or with PEX all the way? Also, anything to be worried about in regards to the connections between these two materials ? Where they were joint wasn’t visible.

What are the Florida requirements for insulating water pipes in the attic?

1 Like

The code requires water distribution pipes in “any area subjected to freezing temperatures” (such as attics) to be insulated. In this case it doesn’t apply to Florida since we don’t get freezing temperatures so I thought there was no insulation requirements.

From my experience you can make a really long run with PEX with minimal connections, so it would be a lot easier to run PEX through the attic than CPVC.

Now this is not to say that what’s in the attic is done correctly, as it looks like it is just draped over everything and not supported anywhere, but that’s probably why they used the PEX in the attic.

Regarding the joints report the bolded above, Yacdiel. :smile:

1 Like

That makes sense, it’s just I had never seen it done that way before. I’ve always just seen one or the other. But yes I did call out the lack of support, thanks Brian.

Would those requirements have anything to do with why it was done this way ?

Plus PEX is more flexible and easier to run over uneven surfaces in the attic. Probably cheaper to run CPVC down below where flexibility is less of an advantage.

1 Like

I’ve been to Florida with freezing temperatures.

And, Whenit does freeze, Pex will swell some before it breaks, unlike cpvc.

1 Like

I’ve been to Florida when I was fondly remembering freezing temperatures.

2 Likes

It may have been done at different times, with the attic re-pipe done (by a non-professional) with PEX.

The “last mile” connections could be CPVC after the fact, because cement is cheaper than a crimping tool.

There’s also a chance this isn’t a “full” re-pipe, with some other material bridging the mix.

What was connected to the water heater?

My plumber told me several years ago that PEX handles cold areas better than any other product. They’ll only run PEX in attics or crawls.

1 Like

CPVC. And yes I agree doesn’t seem like a professional performed the work.

Hey, are you not the guy who advertises home inspection certification through CACHI ( Canadian academy of certified home inspectors ?)

Not true!
Up here it can get to 16 degrees at times, but not very often.

You are right thats why I asked the OP about uninsulated pipes in the attic. I’m trying to get him to think about the environment the piping is in.

2 Likes

PEX tubing needs to be supported a minimum of every 32 inches when running horizontally.
If running vertically, support should be every 4 to 6 feet. Support straps should be plastic or metal that is designed to work for plastic pipe.
Cold water distribution tubing should be insulated to prevent dew point condensation.
Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

To add to that Robert all piping subject to freezing conditions should be insulated.

2 Likes

The OP is in the Tampa area. not likely to have any freezing issues, especially in the attic.
Almost none of the re-pipes in Central Florida have any insulation, and with have zillions of re-pipes around here (Poly, CPVC, PEX, even copper re-pipes from ions ago…)

1 Like

I disagree. Freezing conditions do exist in Florida. Could you imagine the damage created especially on a fitting that adapts from CPVC to PEX. I saw a home about 20 years ago where the occupants left the home for vacation and the pipes froze and thawed. Water was coming out of the front door and the home was trashed. It took a month to dry the house out and begin repairs.