PEX Question

Originally Posted By: ccoombs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

My new home has a PEX like system installed. It seems that all the water lines run in the attic and get hot during the day. It doesn’t seem right for your “cold” water to be at 100*. It is a newer home and I’m wondering if I should contact the developer our take my HI to court.

Curtis

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
P2603.6 Freezing.

The Vanguard, CPI, etc. literature does not specifically state a location but Vanguard does state that insulation of piping is not necessary if installed within the building envelope. For attic runs they recommend placing it under the insulation when possible. They also require PEX not to be exposed to extreme temperatures of one or the other direction to prevent unusual degradation and shortened life.

I have seen the installations both uninsulated and insulated, combined (hot & cold in same bundle) and not combined here. Regardless of PEX' abilities the good builders here will run hot and cold in separate bundles and always insulate when running through the attic or outside the buildings envelope. In those installations are there rarely complaints later of water temperature problems related to the piping.

It is interesting to note that Vanguard does state in their material that PEX will expand when subjected to freeze temperatures and allow water to pass until it is thawed again.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

ccoombs wrote:
....take my HI to court.

![eusa_naughty.gif](upload://nYl3dmRmAIH81yCdH9V96akYnNa.gif)

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Cutis,

HAH! That's funny!! Imissed the HI reference. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

If you did your own inspection I would recommend taking yourself to court!! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: jpope

icon_biggrin.gif

Are you sure I didn't mention that in my report?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpope

a PEX system and, if my recollection is correct, your manabloc and lines were in the West portion of the upstairs attic space.

Go down to Home Depot and purchase some Rubatex (like what you see on your A/C refrigerant lines) and place in on your main hot and cold feeder lines to the manabloc.

Buy a chunk of Styrafoam and hollow it out to cover your manabloc.

This should help shorten the duration of hot water at the startup of your evening showers.

Send me the invoice for parts and labor. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Thanks for the advice and information. The HI reference was just a joke for Jeff’s amusement. Jeff did such a great job on the inspection that the sellers (two of my neighbors) hired Jeff to do warranty inspections on their homes.

Curtis