Cracks

The home is in Loxahatchee, FL and was built in 1978. It also has a drilled well water system. The owner/friend of mine stated that the cracks in the ceiling were present since they lived there which was long after 1978 around in the ealry 2000's. However, they took the old popcorn ceiling down (drywall) and all. Then installed new drywall and added the knockdown texture. Then about three weeks later the cracks appeared again. The wall with the oven and kitchen sink is a load bearing wall. Are these cracks something to worry about? An does anyone have a possible answer/spectulation as to why the cracks appeared? Besides the same old answer call a structural engineer. Thanks everyone for your help.

IMO… that’s not a typical 1970’s floor plan. Is the “2000’s” when the remodel was done? Which wall(s) were removed to create the “open floor plan”? Very possibly the beam for the span is undersized/improper/sub-standard, or the beam supports were not modified for the load.

Yep… you got it. Call a qualified and experienced contractor and/or an SE.

John is that one continues crack that goes all the way across

That is a sheetrock butt joint.

Is there a 2nd floor?

Ceiling deflection will make it crack over and over if the joint is not constructed right.

Look under the house (if not a slab). Walls require proper support (wall must be over double joists) etc.

Common drywall seam cracks. Nothing to worry about. They will reappear over and over again.

In my earliest days doing home inspections (late 2001), whenever I went to La Jolla, Mission Hills, Fletcher Hills and saw all the cracks, I used to say call in a structural engineer. Then I had the privilege of reading some crack reports from those structural engineers. They spent 17 pages disclaiming anything and everything, even their first borne. On the 18th page was a single paragraph saying something like “I don’t know what caused these cracks because I wasn’t there when they occurred. However, based on my experience, they are common cracks/common seam cracks/common stress cracks and are cosmetic in nature. Welcome to La Jolla/Mission Hills/Fletcher Hills!”

Beginning April 1, 2003, I say in my own report something like “Based on my 45+ years of experience in real estate, the cracks are common cracks/common seam cracks/common stress cracks and are cosmetic in nature.”

Since I see them in every home here, but more of them in La Jolla/Mission Hills/Fletcher Hills, that paragraph has been in about 9,000 reports since 2003.

It has indications of buckled cracks and the length of formation is of concern. The pressure seems to be on the right side end of the house (from your picture). Indeed, a structural engineer should advise. :wink:

What did you use to measure level%
A digital laser level allows a degree of slope along floors walls and ceiling for one.
An inexpensive at start-up tool but a must IMO.

Place your level on a wall, floor or ceiling and point your laser on a apposing wall .
Use a tape measure to check uplift and depressions. deflection torsion for a beam under or joists.
Remember, Jeffrey makes some good remarks about the year homes are built.

The width & shape of the crack. Wall or ceiling planes are useful. If the plane or surface has been effected by a dimension in degree or I see the crack to be distinct and the planes not parallel, I would have to call out a SE. Structural deficiency.
If not I may say ooops, recommending a plaster professional put fiberglass mesh on the seam and redoing a the joint wider.
All the best.
Hope it helps.