crawl space

Originally Posted By: berby
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Should I charge more for crawl spaces? I know this one agent, everytime she calls me for an inspection, the house has a crawl space. I think that she has another inspector that won’t do crawl spaces. I hate them myself, i always think I’m going to get bite by a snake. Have anyone ever been bite by a snake? What can i use to repile a snake? icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted By: mboyett

berby wrote:
What can i use to repile a snake? ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)
a .45 or even a .357!

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Seriously, the going rate around here is $75 more for pier and beam inspections. I’ve done a few and have never seen a snake.

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

In my opinion, you cannot possibly do a through professional inspection without doing the crawlspace. What you miss could kill your business.

I fully understand your trepidation of entering the crawl, but although I hate 'em, I still go in, and crawl as far as space allows.

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

Originally Posted By: jbushart

who is known only to attack NACHI inspectors. They are very quiet snakes and sneak up on people easily. The reason they are so quiet is that they don’t know how to spell Ssssssssssssssssssssss. icon_wink.gif

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: dvalley

What’s a crawl space?

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Yes, but fortunately here in FL we build our houses with Slab on Grade! That way we pour concrete right over them sneaky snakes.

In all seriousness, we have black widows, the dreaded brown recluse spider, scorpions, and just about any kind of snake, including the pygmy rattler, that you can think of, and they all love crawl spaces and that wonderful area below mobile homes (trailers for anyone not in Florida ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) )

If you want to be thorough, as said previously get all the way through them, or don't do houses with them.

Originally Posted By: darmstrong

I wish I had a buck for every snake skin I’ve seen in a crawl space. I central Va. virtually every house has one.

I've been doing this for over ten years and only once have I encountered a live one in the crawl. I don't know what it was but it wasn't a copperhead which is the only venomous snake in these parts.

note: the first thing I look at when doing a home in the country is what kind of openings are in the foundation and are all the vents and crawl space door tight, with no openings.

Danny

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Barron,

I am in northwest Florida so we have a lot of old homes with crawl spaces. Everyone has pretty much told you what you need to know. By all means charge extra, it adds time onto to your inspection and it is a very unpleasant task but it also puts some extra sheckles in your pocket. I do a lot of them and I have never seen one snake. I did turn over a piece of plastic once and a large salimander slid out but I took the bugger out in a flash. In the poor light he looked like a snake so I dispatched him witht he long steel spike I carry. After I completed the inspection I just threw those underwear away. If it isn’t safe don’t do it and state why. Also remember before you go in, you have to be able to turn around and get out. Very important.

Geeze Doug,

Just go down to the transmission shop and get your reverse gear fixed. Make sure your back up lights are working also.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Erby,

It only happened one time early in my HI career. I got so involved I got in between two beams in a very low crawl. I tried to back out like the cartoon characters do by walking on my toes but I am 6 foot 3 and I was on my belly and had zero leverage. The soil was mostly sand and I couldn’t get any traction. I managed but by the time I got out I was wrung out and dripping with sweat. Short learning curve.

Thanks guys for your words. I wanted to know if i should charge more for a crawl space. I see now yes. But were did you all get the ideal that i was scared? I spent four years in the Marines. I stayed in the woods and swamps. Also I worked for a pest co. for 2 yrs. They made me crawl everyday checking for termites. I just hate snakes not scared.

Barron,

I write my posts with a bigger world in mind than just you, without detracting from your question. I try to make it worthwhile advice for anyone reading.

Do'em. Make money doing it.

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Ditto

I also write my post to the world and not just to Mr. Crofutt and Mr. Edwards.