Crazy email from Agent

I received an email from an agent late last night that I did an condo (apt style) inspection for, a few weeks back. I couldnt believe what I was reading.
He hasked me if the unit that I inspected, has any of these and then he attached a paragraph what looked like was copied from another email (maybe a buyer).

“The Seller warrants that, to the best of his/her knowledge and belief, the property does not contain any hidden defects, including but not limited to: urea formaldehyde foam insulation (whether existing or removed), buried fuel tanks, termite infestation, lead-based paint, mold, radon gas, arsenic-treated lumber, asbestos insulation, vermiculite insulation or Kitec/Kitec-type plumbing. Further, the Seller warrants that, to the best of his/her knowledge and belief, there have been no deaths, by natural causes or suicides or murders on the subject property at any time. These warranties shall survive the closing of the transaction, but shall only apply to circumstances existing at or before the closing date.”

Yes, he did sign the inspection agreement form.

Oh just to clarify, my inspection was done for the listing agent and seller as a pre-listing inspection

1 Like

That is a statement directly from a Sellers Disclosure Statement. The Agent is trying to get you to accept any future liability for anything that may surface.

What you need to remember is that what YOU know, and what the SELLER has knowledge of, ARE NOT the same thing. Your knowledge spans a few hours in time. The Sellers knowledge for sake of the Disclosure Statement spans the entire timespan of ownership.

My reply would be that my report contains ONLY the information on any concerns that I observed at the time of the inspection, and that latent (hidden) defects/concerns are just that… hidden… and beyond the purview of your inspection.

latent defect | Wex | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute.

15 Likes

I agree with what Jeffrey said. :+1:

1 Like

Just copy & paste/reply back the part of the agreement that they signed excluding all this stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks. That makes sense.

How is this for a reply?

“Hi _____
As per the inspection agreement, the inspection is visual only and does not include latent (hidden) defects. It also does not include inspecting for radon, mold, asbestos, lead paint or termite infestation. Also, since the inspection in non invasive, there was no removal of walls, floors or ceiling and there was no attic, therefore, no insulation was observed and inspected.”

1 Like

But what abut the murder there??
You can advise him to check this half-ass site :smirk:

2 Likes

do you not offer radon tests, or termite inspections? that would have answered those questions.

I always try to upsale the inspections to always include

Radon,
Termite inspection, I’m state licensed…
and a sewer scope inspection.
If they do not pay for it, there is no way of knowing it is there and its never in my report.
As radon, and termite gets its own report.
separate agreements as well.

Hi William,
Not at this time. I am working on Pool and Spa and then Mold certification after that. Radon will follow as well. Definitly those things I will be adding.

That letter is hilarious. Agents have a lot of nerve. All of that stuff is specifically excluded in my contracts. Does anybody read them; who knows.

1 Like

I would recommend that he read the report in its entirety…

They are getting more desperate.

1 Like

In this current market, buyers are foregoing inspections. This seems to me to be the Buyer playing the legal loophole game with the Seller regarding FULL Disclosure to get around an inspection.

1 Like

OP is based north of Toronto Canada. They may not have Termite issues in that region.
No need to harp on him in his area of operations that you likely know little about!!

3 Likes

That would be sleazy…

3 Likes

And your point is??

From my education, there is sometimes a need to test for mold. Microbial growth is often visible and is noted in my report. Depending on circumstances, sampling may be prudent in order to determine what type(s) and concentrations may be present and decide what next steps are recommended.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Max. I couldn’t let that one slip by unchecked :sweat_smile:

I agree with JJ. and Larry. The agent may be pulling a fast one. I think your response was appropriate. :+1:

4 Likes

Thank God in Florida remediators are not allowed to perform testing where they do the cleaning.
A conflict of interest for sure.

Good luck with this one Bert… … … …

1 Like

Most of the mold tests I do are for the largest mold remediator in town https://molddrsusa.com/
When people call them and describe their apparent problem, I get called to go investigate and sample. I send them my findings and a copy of the lab test and if remediation is needed, they bid on cleanup based on my inspection and feedback. They trust me just fine.

Ok, I’m not even going to respond to this one. It’s getting too stupid in here. I’m out.

2 Likes

That’s completely different then doing it at an inspection.
Well anyways this is off topic now. I have a mold sampling pump kit. Never used it. Maybe I should contact the remediation companies in town.
Thanks.

I’d reply I thought you were serious until I read the part about suicides, murders, and deaths. And that’s all I’d say.

2 Likes