Credit Card Acceptance?

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If you’re so busy that you’re turning away business and not taking credit cards, then don’t take credit cards. That’s the situation I’m in. I really enjoy not having any more fees to pay than I already have.

Now if you're just getting started, you have a double-edged sword. If you take credit cards, you might pick up some extra business. However, you also have to have the money available to pay those credit card start-up fees. They don't take credit cards to pay for starting to take credit cards. Go figure.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rray

I have only received four inquiries in two years concerning method of payment. Perhaps that is because my home inspection agreement, which I get to my prospective Clients far in advance of the inspection, actually states that we take cash, check, or money order. Never a question. Never a problem. That’s the type of business I like. Payment in advance, no questions asked.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe H,

The machine to use the card swipe for the 1.89% rate is $90. You can actaully accept them on the job without using the phone line which is nice when you come accross those vacant houses with no phone lines. When you get back to the office and your internet access you simply process them all at once. Considering the fees associated with batches, manually keyed tranactions and the tranaction fees it would certainly be the preferred method for me. The only down side is that you don't know if it was declined until you get back to the office. icon_sad.gif

The quickbooks method seems pretty easy and low cost. When I start processing them myself this will most likely be my method of choice.

Did you have a chance to check out that link. I have previous experience with CC while in the cleaing business so I know the in's and out's of accepting them. I believe someone before me pointed out that you can stop payment on a check and credit cards are the same. The only thing I don't like about the charge back idea is that you will not know they took the money back out until you get the letter three weeks later. You have a better chance of getting the statement first. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers