Do You Take Credit Cards?

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have been thinking about credit cards as of recent. I dont think more than one guy accepts them in my area. Can some of you guys who take them tell me a little about how frequently you use them, if customers actually are drawn to you because you use them, etc.

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Peter,

My 2 cents worth. I would think that some people would find it convenient to rack up some airline miles or cashback however, if your client is about to make the most significant investment in their life., there should be a few hundred dollars laying around for Sherlock Holmes. But, on the other hand, you know that you would not have a bounced check. I am curious though what the cost is. I understand that you have to buy the machine but then MC or Visa also takes 1-2% of every sale.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dharris

I’ve been accepting them for about 3 yrs

Less than 10% pay with them, but accepting them comes in handy when I’m dealing with a out of state customer, the customer that forgot there checkbook, the ones that are low on cash and want to pay at escrow, and the people that pay for everthing with CC’s to get airline mileage

Originally Posted By: dharris

Quote:
I understand that you have to buy the machine but then MC or Visa also takes 1-2% of every sale.
[/quote]

I just use a slider machine provided from the bank at no charge,
and call a 800# to get the card approved in less than 2 min.
I think the Bank fee is something like 2-3% per transaction, plus 5.00 per month for am express

Originally Posted By: rwills

Has anyone here tried that cellphone credit card service yet? Sounds pretty cool. I saw it posted here a while back. I read over their entire website and like the concept not to mention affordability. I might play the role of lab mouse and give it a whirl. Here’s the website if anyone’s interested: http://www.cellchargenc.com/index.html

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Cash or Check…Never had a problem with my clients paying either way.

I've had a few clients tell me that they forgot their checkbook at home and that they want me to follow them to the bank. Sorry, I'm too busy to chase money..So I tell them to mail it to me. I've always received every check within 3 days.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Paypal…works pretty good.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I accept CCs. I do it as a convenience for the client. As Dan said, it helps with out of state clients. I set up my website so clients can go in and pay online if they want. I don’t have a swipe machine. If a client wants to pay with a CC at the inspection, I just take all the info: card # name, address, etc… and process it online when I get back to the office. I use authorize.net. It costs $20/month plus 2% of each transaction.

Accepting CCs has helped in two instances when I was being stiffed by clients. When I told them they had the option to pay over the phone with a CC they jumped on it.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: bsmith

There is an interesting ad in the Nov. JLC that shows a secure credit card swipe that attaches to a cell phone. If I had Nextel service I’d check into it.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: sbyrnes

Bob,

I just checked out there site and it looks like it might be worth it. You go first and let me know how it goes!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
All Corners Home Inspections, Inc
Serving Pasco, Hernando, N. Pinellas & N. Hillsborough counties

Originally Posted By: kbowles

As an ex-REALTOR, I do not plan to take credit cards. My main reason for this is that I have seen a few people that if 3 or $400 dollars was added to their debt:loan ratio, it might prevent them from buying a house. Granted that most people that are getting inspections are usually not in this category, I will still err on the side of caution.

Life’s a journey, not a destination.

Aerosmith

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Remember, with credit cards, they can call up and dispute the charge - simply because they think you did not do what they thought you should have done.

With cash, you've got it.

With checks, you almost got it, get it to the bank and you've got it.

Credit cards? You got it, but they can take it away and hold it awhile.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

As far as changing the debt:loan ratio, most clients have already gotten a pre-approval and using their credit cards isn’t going to effect that. I know, I did it when I bought my home. But not everything is the same for everyone and everywhere.

I'm doing an inspection today for a client in California. I'll do my inspection, give my report to the realtor, and sit back and wait for the check that they are mailing to me. "The check is in the mail" is a phrase that sends a shiver up my spine. I just opened this company a couple of months ago and I'm not about to tell my realtor or client I need that check from California before I do that inspection. We all know that inspections need to happen in a relatively quick time period and if you have the client waiting even longer to get the inspection, you're not going to hear from the realtor again for quite some time. This is one of the reasons I'm looking to take credit cards and I"m also checking into checks by phone. Now I'm going to find a topic on PAC. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Scott,

I was selling a house about 11 years ago, the couple were approved, closing was to be in January (this was right around Thanksgiving).

I say WAS because they were randomly selected for 're-approval'. I've been told that banks do this to make sure that everything is still okay.

The problem was that they maxed out their credit cards for Christmas, and, when the bank randomly selected their name, ... big problem.

They ended up not being approved and the sale fell through.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Scott,

The majority of my clients are from out of town/out of state. I always request payment beforehand if they are not attending the inspection. I too have just started my company, but it didn’t seem to have any adverse effects.

I usually ask them to overnite the money or pay via paypal.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Have them fax you a check and make a draft to deposit.

Very low cost per transaction.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Greg,

My bank doesn't take the draft for small businesses so that won't work, but thanks.

--

gbell wrote:
Have them fax you a check and make a draft to deposit.

Very low cost per transaction.

I just talked with my bank and they said that wasn't an option...something about reading the ink at the bottom of the check???
Anyways they said it was a no/go.

--

Originally Posted By: gbell

I use them at my local community bank and also Washington Mutual. I never asked if they would take them I just deposited and have never had a problem. There is a Federal Reserve Rule that they should be accepted. Not any different than printing your own check on blank check stock or Quick Books checks.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

I thought about doing that as well, but I didn’t want to buy the program for printing the checks and find out after the fact that it didn’t go through. I had a problem with a check from England. It was a legitimate check, got deposited and then 2 days later the bank sent it back to me saying there was a problem with the way he filled it out. Next thing I know I had to pay $30 to process it plus whatever charge the England bank was going to charge.

I got the check back, took it to the realtor, and he paid me cash and was going to charge the inspection off to his expense at closing.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, I don’t want to be calling a customer and telling them that the draft didn’t go through and I need another check. Not my idea of a good time.