CSST gas piping / building code

This is confusing. I’m working for a multi inspector firm which demands we call out the lack of a bonding clamp on the gas meter at the gas piping inlet to the structure as a deficiency. From what I understand, this (the clamp) was implemented as code in 2012. I prefer to test the piping for bonding against the electrical system with a continuity tester. I believe this is fine except when yellow CSST is present. The bonding requirements are difficult to understand. Personally, I prefer to check with a continuity tester and tell my client it is bonded whether there is a clamp on the gas meter or not. But the firm is asking me to cease this and recommend a pro for their liability.

My problem is, if I recommend a contractor review the system to determine if the CSST is bonded correctly, (at the expense of my client), what is that professional going to do to determine it’s correct? Is it a continuity test that anyone can do? Or do they need to visually inspect the bonding connection where ever it may be?

Are there any years of construction that are more likely to be dangerous?

What professional would I call to get the full information? I’m guessing a licensed plumber but perhaps a master electrician, or maybe both.

This is a subject I wish I knew everything about. It is a potentially dangerous condition and I would like the confidence to explain the details and save my clients the fees of bringing in a pro if I’m able to check this myself.

Can someone please comment on my points above? I know it’s probably better to just recommend a pro and be done with it but I’d like to know the specifics so I can ease their minds if it’s really ok or if not, make sure they understand the concerns.

In the end, I’ll do what my firm requires but I’d sure like to understand this completely.

Thank you -
F Roach

This is what Oklahoma law requires of home inspectors in regard to Yellow CSST:
the presence of any shade of yellow corrugated stainless steel tubing
(“CSST”) flexible gas piping observed during the inspection in which
the inspector is not required to identify concealed conditions, components not
readily accessible, or any other item excepted from inspection pursuant to
OAC 158:70-1-3. If any shade of yellow CSST flexible gas piping is observed,
the home inspector shall notify the client, in writing, as follows: “Manufacturers
believe the product is safer if properly bonded and grounded as required by the
manufacturer’s installation instructions. Proper bonding and grounding of the
product can only be determined by a licensed electrical contractor.”

1 Like

Thank you

Fred Roach
972-885-0702

Maryland requires a similar statement. The statement in MD must say a “licensed Master Electrician.” Doesn’t matter what equipment you have, if your not a licensed electrician you can’t do it.

3 Likes

Thank you -

Fred Roach
972-885-0702

Welcome to our forum, Fred!..Enjoy, the water is warm most of the time! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like