Bonding of csst gas line

Would appreciate some clarity on CSST bonding- a number of the posts I have read are confusing to me anyway. Is the clamp that is secured to the first csst fitting coming from the gas meter( or propane regulator) to then have the #6 copper wire run to the main service panel and attached to grounding bar in panel, or is it to go directly to agrounding rod.

That looks like Counterstrike CSST, at least from here. http://www.omegaflexcorp.com/Products/TracPipe_CounterStrike/

The yellow jacketed CSST was the problematic stuff, although I personally don’t like any of it and prefer black iron.

In my area the gas pipe should be bonded downstream of the gas meter to either the “electrical system” ground rod or back to the panel. http://csstsafety.com/Images/CSST-Direct-Bonding-Tech-Bulletin.pdf

1 Like

The bonding conductor can be run to any electrode connected to the building grounding electrode system, to the service panel, or to a grounding electrode conductor. Here’s how it’s enforced here in NJ:

Good lord that is a lot of lines. Multiple tank-less heaters?

You didn’t explain to Ken why that is important that you even mentioned it (doesn’t require bonding per manufacturer), but even so, it is a poor install job as the black jacket is to run entirely to the connector without stopping short!!

Don’t know where they terminate- new construction I was investigating- 2 zone heating( propane), water heater, I think it was going to laundry room and a couple fireplaces.

Thanks for the replies- Jeffrey, same on the water heater- see pic

Would you all call the open stainless out as a defect?

Kevin, thanks for the link- Manufacturer notes that “no additional bonding required” ?

Well this is definitely not the way to do it! Alot of installations I see have CSST run from the meter to a manifold like the OP’s photo. Bonding in those cases occurs at the first connection to the CSST (not the manifold).

Maryland law has us just state a disclaimer that only a master electrician can determine proper bonding for CSST.

No Problem Ken, like I said, the yellow jacketed CSST was the problematic stuff.

Correct, if it is indeed Counterstrike, bonding is not required.

Thanks,

does anyone know if Pennsylvania has a similar law or other?

Here in NJ the licensed electrical contractor is not responsible for bonding CSST.

Funny thing is, the law here does not actually say the Sparky is responsible, Just that they are the only ones that can determine proper bonding and that the CSST should be bonded per the manufacturer’s instructions. Just a disclaimer for the Home Inspector.

2 Likes

Thank you all! Now I know more!

Maybe i’m missing something here. According to manufacturers instructions on installation "TracPipe® CounterStrike® is to be bonded in accordance with the National Electrical Code NFPA 70 Article 250.104(B) in the same manner as the minimum requirements for rigid metal piping. "

Page 54, item SECTION 4.10.1 - TRACPIPE® COUNTERSTRIKE® BONDING INSTRUCTIONS Item 2

Good call!

According to the NEC rigid gas piping is bonded through the connection of an EGC run with the branch circuit feeding a gas appliance. A separate bonding jumper is not required.

250.104(B) Other Metal Piping. If installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to any of the following:
(1) Equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping system

1 Like

Here’s a fairly straight forward YouTube video by Home Flex that addresses your question.
They say the minimum #6 should go to the grounding bus bar in the service panel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QiNMnDdXQ8

Does corrugated tubing fall under category of rigid tubing?

No. The NEC addresses rigid gas piping which is typically called black pipe. I don’t think that any CSST product that can be bent by hand would be considered rigid piping.