Curb at bottom of basement wall question

(Drew Vander Meulen) #1

Hi, I am sorry if this is a stupid question. I am currently finishing class to become a home inspector and during structure class they talked about benched footings and underpinning but I am a little confused. If there is a curb present at the bottom of a wall is that a clear sign that the basement has been underpinned or possibly benched? Some of these curbs dont look more than 6 inches in height and a few inches out. Thanks for any help with this.

(Kenton Shepard, CMI) #2

This question makes no sense to me. I never heard of a “benched” footing and “underpinning” usually has to do with repair work as far as I know, so it doesn’t related to benched footings, and the dimensions you give don’t seem to relate to anything.
What course are you taking?

(Joseph DePiero) #3

The term Benching and underpinning is used interchangeable when talking about the process of increasing the height in a basement but they are different. I believe for every inch of height you want to add you have to add 1" to the width of the footer (12" height =12" footer width.) for bench footing
I don’t believe you can determine if you have a benched footing if a small curb is present, though it is certainly an indication.

(Kenton Shepard, CMI) #4

No. Underpinning has to do with foundation reinforcement, not changing heights of basements. Look it up.

I believe benching has to do with creating subsequent levels in whatever medium is being utilized.