David A. Here is one for your files

Had town house with two A/C’s I felt the suction line while touring the outside the line felt to warm unit had been running for a while. Decided to explore a bit to see if the IR would pic up anything inside at the coil. The A-coil and furnace was less than two years in age the condenser was a 1997 different brand mix and match.

You can plainly see the top of the A-coil was not being fed Starving the Evap. This coil had a TXV with external equalizer.

I installed my gages just to see what kind of pressures we were running. The outside ambient was 88 degrees back pressure was 70 PSIG head was 240 PSIG. I did not pump the unit down.

I see three possible problems without further testing which I did not do. TXV not feeding properly, Low Freon charge, Discharge valve leaking back into the suction side.

The Pic of the condenser was the one for this A-coil I removed the cover of the coil box and snapped the images while the unit was operating and before any temp changes could occur because of the cover being removed.

IR.jpg

IR.jpg

IR.jpg

IR.jpg

IR_0474.jpg