Deceptive business practice

A quick search on the internet would have had me question a lot before every paying a nickel. Wow!

Finigan](http://www.airqualityassessor.com/EstimatingDiminution.pdf) (PDF File)
… by Francis Xavier (“Rich”) Finigan See page xx for author biography The appraiser … Francis Xavier “RichFinigan Mr. Finigan
www.airqualityassessor.com/EstimatingDiminution.pdf · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Finigan](http://www.airqualityassessor.com/BuildingPractices.pdf) (PDF File)
… by Francis Xavier (“Rich”) Finigan See page xx for author biography 1Finished Basement … Francis Xavier “RichFinigan Mr.
www.airqualityassessor.com/BuildingPractices.pdf · [Save](javascript:void(0))
More Results from www.airqualityassessor.com

The Herald of Randolph
… municipal government will cost between $600,000 and $900,000, Randolph Selectman Francis X. “RichFinigan said Tuesday night at …
www.ourherald.com/News/2001/0419/Community_News.html · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Inspector Courses (PDF File)
Francis “RichFinigan 2097 North Randolph Road Randolph Center, VT 05061 1-800-245-9932 Fax 802-728-5534 E-mail: …
www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/education/insp-courses.pdf · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Indoor Environmental Standards Organization
2097 North Randolph Road Randolph Center,VT 05061 Phone: 800-245-9932 Fax: 802-728-5534 Contact: Rich Finigan Email: fxf1@aol.com
www.iestandards.org/Certification/atplist.aspx · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Franchise Information for Allstate Home Inspections/Environmental …
… and environmental expert, Francis X. (Rich) Finigan. Long recognized as America’s #1 Home Inspector, Rich was the first to assess the …
www.thefranchisemall.com/franchises/details/10957-0-Allstate_Homewww.thefranchisemall.com/franchises/details/10957-0-Allstate_Home_Inspections_Environmental_Testing.htm · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Allstate Home / Advance Look
AHI President, Francis X. (Rich) Finigan, America’s #1 Home Inspector. Francis X. (Rich) Finigan is a regular contributor to several industry …
www.homeinspectionbiz.info/ · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Race Stock Customers
R. M. Leek Ray Henderson Rexford Erik Rich Finigan Richard Rock Richie Rosenbloom Rick Hale Rick Duckworth Riechelt, Bill Rob …
www.racestocksports.com/Customers.htm · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Co-op Moves To Serve Seniors
… bigger quarters at the old Merrimaids building, wants to prove it’s a community service, not just a store, said Francis X. “Rich
www.rherald.com/News/2001/0503/Community_News/com03.html · [Save](javascript:void(0))

Two Selectboard Spots Will Be Open
On Tuesday evening Francis X. “RichFinigan also announced he would step down, to make more time for his growing business.
www.rherald.com/News/2002/0110/Community_News/com05.html · [Save](javascript:void(0))
More Results from www.rherald.com

Steve

The reason I asked was Yes I paid $12,000.00 but my HI course is almost 1000 hrs! and from a highly respected college.

Your course ,take away lunch and breaks is 80 hrs at the most I’m sorry I just have to ask,Did a light not go on?Again I’m sorry,but I would just like to know your thought process in determining that this org. was for you.And did you do research in terms of other schools,etc.

Mario,

Yes and no re: researching other schools. We looked into several other franchises but could not get “our territory” from the others we researched. We never looked at schools that would allow us to be independent. We also had a book that listed the VT school as one of the top 500 (?) franchises in the country for the past 3 years. We did our due diligence with the BBB and the VT Sec. of State etc. and even called a half dozen of the franchisees and got good reports from those people.

One of the people we called in Utah gave us a good report. His new partner is one of the people from our class and the story is now quite different. We’ve been in touch with that classmate (who was pressured during class to buy his own franchise but didn’t) and he says they are not renewing their franchise option when the time comes.

As for a light coming on…most definitely for me. I had serious doubts after watching the first training CD we were sent. Right after I finished watching it, I called my partner and said, “…I’m beginning to wonder what we’ve gotten into here. This CD is pretty bad from a professional standpoint.” The more CD’s I watched and material I read (misspellings, grammatical structure etc.) the more concerned and disappointed I became. My attitude became negative and my business partner began to get upset with me. We had already paid our money and signed the franchise agreement. My partner insisted we just make the best of it. We did approx. 200-250 hrs of self-study before we left for VT.

In July, #1 came to Montana to deliver the, “…capstone of our initial training” as mentioned above in the posting by Lewis. During that visit, I was subjected to several minutes of verbal abuse and sworn at several times by #1. Professionals don’t talk to their franchisees that way. I kept my responses to him on a professional level.

Several days later, it was my business partner who came to me (after talking with the guy in Utah again) and told me she wanted out of the franchise because she couldn’t work with someone like #1. We immediately set about accomplishing that and found it easier than we had anticipated. I think #1 realized that we had seen through him and his operation for what it was and that we were in a position to do some damage to him if we wanted to. That’s just my opinion based on other information that I won’t try to list here.

It’s been a long and expensive road for us to get where we are today. We’ve learned much the hard way. In October, another class went through this school and I kept thinking about those people and feeling badly for them. There should be more information for people who are looking into this industry and trying to make decisions about where and how to be trained. Franchises are attractive to people because the marketing and support is supposedly in place, tested and proven. America’s #1 HI had one marketing plan that we found very deceptive and we couldn’t get behind it. We found that these people in VT don’t understand how business is done here in Montana. To continue with them would have killed our business early on.

It seems that everyone around here is in a franchise HI business. We naturally thought we had to go the same route and that’s how our search proceeded. I don’t remember that we ever talked about the possibility of being independent or even knowing that we could be independent.

In regard to this particular school, one would have to read the information on the web (see the posting by Lewis above), and call the school for more information. Then one would pay, sign, and attend class at the facility in Barre, VT to experience what we did and come to realize what a low-budget, unprofessional and deceptive outfit this really is. Nine out of nine students in that class ended up leaving with the same feelings. One we know of is now suing for a total refund. We were considering doing the same but my partner’s life has undergone some changes and we decided to accept any loss, end this chapter and just move forward.

This has been a wordy response to your question(s) but I really want to get the message out to people to BE CAREFUL. Learn from our experience.

S

Steve

I’m pissed off for you,just the thought of people like this offering instruction for new HI’S is scary to say the least.Nice to see that you moved on.

Wendy/Mario

Update: I just got off the phone w/ one of my classmates from the Advance Look school in VT. He’s been up since 3 am doing more research on the AL franchises around the country. He’s also been looking into our own class performance.

Of the nine people in our class, no one is doing anything with their Advance Look franchise. We got out of ours and one is suing for a full refund. One person was smart enough not to buy one, one bought two territories in CA but isn’t doing anything with them, two are working for other inspectors, one is now broke and unlisted (he was pressured into buying a franchise I’m told), and one in Oregon who is doing nothing with his.

Two guys paid $1,700+ to train and were to be working under other AL franchise owners but I believe they are not doing that now. The other five of us paid $24K for our franchises. The guy in CA bought a second territory at an unknown cost.

ALHI made $123,400+ on five franchisees and two sub-contractors excluding the $300 we each paid to join IAQA and the additional $300 we each paid to join the technically non-existent ASPREI. Only one person asking for his money back. What a great way to make money! Meanwhile, #1 buys real estate.

My classmate also searched a number of AL franchises around the country and found many (via Google) who had set up home inspection businesses in addition to their AL franchises. I suspect they are doing the bulk of their inspections under their aliases and doing only enough business under the AL name to meet the minimum royalty payment.

We were told that AL has 95 franchises around the country. Apparently, the fed. gov’t shows only 65 and a large percentage of those have secondary HI businesses attached to their names. My classmate said he’s going to make some calls to some of the people listed and try to find out what’s going on. Sounds to me like a whole bunch of people are dissatisfied with what they got and are finding ways around it.

S

A second update: Prior to our class, there was one other AL franchise in OR but that one is gone now and the guy from our class isn’t doing anything with his. In 2005, Colo. had three franchises and they are all gone now. Texas had 3 and they are all gone now. Of all the AL franchises listed in 2005, 20 are gone now. Some have gone into other businesses, some have become independent HI’s.

My classmate says that Advanced Look seems to be losing franchises faster than they can sign them up but if those 20 franchises didn’t go after a refund, #1 put $500K in his pocket.

In the Advance Look franchise agreement, it states that all AL franchises must belong to IAQA and ASPREI. Checking the IAQA data base shows that 18 Advance Look franchises are NOT members, yet the Advance Look website says they are.

There are other discrepancies, double standards etc. There is no organization to this “organization.” If you made $500K on 20 franchises, would you care?

Steve, just another taste of life. Request demo disks from all of the well-known software companies that are affiliated with NACHI, most of which are valid training programs in and of themselves, pick the one you like, and live happily ever after.

You can’t lay the blame completely on them. Trade associations like ASPREI or ASHI are probably decent trade associations and if they were operating in any other industry (other than the inspection industry) trade associations like ASPREI and ASHI might even be considered great organizations.

It is only when they are held up to the light alongside NACHI do they look comparatively pathetic.

Times have changed. Evil Knievil was great… but his jumps wouldn’t even qualify in today’s X-games.

NACHI has taken everything to a whole new level.

Steve;

Read your posts and feel very depressed to the fact that people would stoop that low to provide a false pretense education for the one’s that have the money to dish out.

Isn’t there a word for those type of people?? yes there is (connards tordus)
Unfortunately, they are amongst us and nothing you can do but stay on your guard.

Welcome to NACHI and hope we can all help you along and guide you to a better Home Inspection Business.

After reading your experience, boy, aren’t I glad I was paid to learn what cost you $25K, but it took 38 years and that is conservative. ha. ha.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, and wish you well.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
</IMG></IMG>

Steve

Did you buy a franchise? I was under the impression you only attended classes.

I would imagine that he had joined.

It has taken nearly three months to get out of our “Franchise” and it has cost us several thousand additional dollars to retool, rethink, and relearn what we should have known coming out of class. Especially a class that cost us $12K each. For that kind of money we should have left with a new PDA, radon monitor, and a software package and been knowlegable in the use of each.

I feel sorry for him and his partner and wish them all the luckl possible by joining NACHI. At least here, they will have honest help and support. Got to love NACHI, not sure about Nick though, ha. ha. got you didn’t I.?

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Nope, bought a franchise or half of one…

S

Steve -

Just food for thought. You’re in Montana where everything and all Realtors are extremely “High-Tech” and insist on digital photo’s, emailed reports, etc.

In Kansas City 2 of the highest volume inspection companies I know of use on-site, very extensive 18 page express narrative-type checklists. Another high volume producing inspector uses a 3 page typed narrative.

One agent wants digital photos for out of state clients and express on-site checklists for their in-town clients. Its all varied. From the sounds of your writings I’m guessing that you’re a techie and don’t relate to anything else.

There are a lot of them out there.

Caveat Emptor sounds appropriate but shameful that it has to be that way.

http://www.busop1.com/catno48.htm

Steve -
You’ve peaked our interest. What did $12,000 each buy and your partner and how did you find this guy? I’ve seen little ads of his in off the cuff magazines for years, but in 25 years never heard of anybody that actually went there.

I did a web search for “Home Inspection Training” and went out 4-5 pages and never pulled him up. I’m sure sorry for your dilema.