Deck fasteners

Here’s a good article on deck fasteners, I know in my area I still see many decks being built incorrectly.

Thanks for the info. Peter!

I’m still having trouble with them doing the old way right!

Thanks Peter; good article on what to look for on decks built after 2002.

Gary

That’s the truth… I’ve seen some pretty amazing things:(

Thanks Peter two things I really look close at is moisture concerns in and around the home and decks.
I find at least 80% of decks in my area are not correctly installed .
New great looking deck screws in the hangers and open holes in hangers . Incorrect spindle gap over 4 inches.
Incorrect hand rail 2#4 incorrect steps 5/4 and no center supports the where loose and sagged .
Wood earth contact both posts and steps.
. Screwed to the wall not lag bolts or through bolts.
No flashing over ledger board means when wet never can dry out
Other wise looked great .

…Cookie

:slight_smile: Nice info. Peter;

I was wondering if you ever used these instead of nails on decking boards for a deck.

I will not use anything else.

http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/selection_guide.htm

http://www.grkfasteners.com/images/rightside_r4.jpg

These screws are amazing and no predrilling is necessary and they countersink themselves without mushrooming.

Holding power is also above and beyond the stainless nail.

An guess where it is made? Not USA. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Marcel, We are going to build the decks for my brother Alan’s project and I’ve asked for screws like those. I’ll let you know what I think.

4 3/8" spindle spacing is now ok, allowing 2 spindles in a 10" tread, rather than 3 spindles.

www.iccsafe.org

Marcel do you use a hammer to put them in and the screw driver for removing them Faster I think? HAHA!

I see they are using Tork screws with the six points .
Many do not know Canada had the best screws in the world since 1938 and do to some difficulty they where not sold in the USA .
They USA brought out the Phillips and they are OK but could not compare to the Robertson Screw.
I have a Robertson screw driver over 50 years old and it will still hold a screw at any angle and not fall off.
I am nervous with the new copper treated wood all reports I see say it eats off the screw faster in Flordia then in the Northern area .
I still think the Arsenic treated wood was Superior . Time will tell.
…Cookie

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/images/4142_lrg.jpg

</IMG></IMG>

No Roy, we hardly use hammers now with all the battery drills and screws. ha. ha.

Roy, those Robertson screws have been out for a long time.

In 1908, P. L. Robertson began to manufacture a square recess impression in the head of a screw in Milton, Ontario, Canada. At that time, it was a revolutionary change in the fastener industry. The first patent was issued in 1909 and the last patent expired 55 years later in 1964. For his invention, P.L. Robertson screws and screwdrivers carry his name to this day.
Today, Robertson Inc., is a global supplier of standard and specialty fasteners with operating locations throughout the world. Through our modern manufacturing technology, ongoing product development programs, highly skilled and dedicated people and enduring commitment to excellence, Robertson Inc. continues to build on our heritage of quality and innovation.

But, today I much rather use the torx head and drivers, they seem to accept more tork.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

What I don’t like about Torx, only the right bit will do and you need a pocket full, always searching for the right one. The tapered Robertson driver works with a whole range of screws, three sizes fits them all and the mid-size fits most of them!
Old Robertson wouldn’t sign an royalty agreement with Henry Ford, so Henry screwed him royally ;-), started using Phillips.

Something I’m switching to up here is hemlock for deck framing. It lasts for up to 30+ years as opposed to usually 15± for pressure treated materials. A little pricey though…half the cost of P.T.:o . Add a white cedar top and railings, a dood quality stain and you got yourself a good looking deck that is going to last. I’ve got 2 55’ decks and a 40’ as well as a few smaller decks to build this spring, so I’ll be keeping the mill busy.

Just my 2 cents +GST
Brian Jones