Deck height under threshold

Can anyone educate me on the proper distance between the door threshold and the deck surface. I’ve seen and read everything from 7 in. to flush. I think a 1 in. space should be plenty, but I’m not sure!

Up tp 7-3/4

Just to clarify;

R311.3.1 Floor Elevations at the Required Egress Doors

Landings or finished floors at the required egress door shall be not more than 11/2 inches (38 mm) lower than the top of the threshold.

Exception: The landing or floor on the exterior side shall be not more than 73/4 inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold provided the door does not swing over the landing or floor.

2 Likes

AWC-DCA62012-DeckGuide-1405.pdf (4.0 MB)

Here’s a handy guide. What Marcel said is on page 39.

Thanks for the PDF Robert. That will come in handy. Hard for me to visualize a full step (7 3/4 in.). But flush with the threshold doesn’t seem right from a water intrusion standpoint. The 1 1/2 to 2 inch drop feels comfortable without being a trip hazard.

1 Like

In my area of Minnesota with rain, snow, ice… 4 inches (half step) seems to be the most common average height.

It all depends on whether the door is the Main egress or not.
You only need one egress door in the house.
This article should help on the requirements.

So for anyone that is confused with all this, National Code states,
(Local Code may vary)…

Interior MAXIMUM stepdown… 1.5 inches from top of threshold to finished floor surface or landing, all door styles,
Interior MINIMUM… None/flush

Exterior MAXIMUM stepdown… 7.75 inches from top of threshold to step, landing, or floor surface, for sliding and inward swinging doors,
Exterior MAXIMUM stepdown… 1.5 inches from top of threshold to landing or floor surface for outward swinging swinging doors,
Exterior MINIMUM… None/flush