Door trip hazards

Trip hazard
Is this consider a trip hazard and must be reported?

What was the height from the top of concrete to the top of the threshold?

No, it’s not.

1 Like

BTW, the gap between the slab and the brick should be sealed/caulked to keep water from getting between the two…

1 Like

It’s an abnormal height, not quite a step. It’s a safety issue and I would put it in my report as a trip hazard.

2 Likes

There is no minimum “step height”, only maximum at the exterior doors. Cite your source.

1 Like

It is a trip hazard when entering and existing. go ahead and write a novel on this.
Do we need a 10-page report on this subject?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call that a trip/fall hazard. It’s going from a flat surface up a step into the doorway. The trip/fall hazard is usually caused by stairs with steps that are uneven in rise.

3 Likes

Morning Farid. Hope this post find you well.
You use a level. Nicely done.

I concur with your observation. Trip fall hazard.
R311.3.1 Floor elevations at the required egress doors.
Landings or floors ‘at the required egress door’ shall not be more than (1-l/2 inches_ - (38 mm) lower than the top of the threshold. Looks more the 1.5" inches to me but I could be wrong.
Possible Trip-Fall hazard.

OSHA: Trip fall hazards in walkways. Uneven Steps, Thresholds and Changes or modification walking surfaces.

Break down the components you are observing from left to right. Like that you properly choreograph the structure and components you are inspecting.
1: Stamped Pour concrete Hardscaping.
2: Brick Masonry Foundation shelf.
3: Door Entry Threshold.

Observation: Exterior.
Gap between the hardscaping and foundation is not sealed.
Height from the threshold to the hardscaping more than 1.5" inches.

Recommend: Exterior.
A: Recommend a licensed caulking/sealing contractor seal the gap between the stamped poured concrete hardscaping and the base of the brick masonry to prevent water entry.
B: Recommend a licensed general contractor Insure the elevation from the front door threshold to the hardscaped landing is not more then the maximum height of 1.5" inches.
C: Follow any offered referrals.

Hope that helps.
Robert

2 Likes

Thanks, Martin. Looks like your an early bird like myself. :grinning:

1 Like

Excellent information Robert.

1 Like

When I look at a photograph like the one the OP posted, I think how will an elderly person negotiate that step? Changes in egress elevations may be difficult to see unless they are obvious such as a 7” step.

Anyone who has had the pleasure of wearing bifocals will understand this is an area blurred and can be missed and tripped on. I appreciate the code you mentioned very much however common sense kicks in and says this is easily a trip hazard.

3 Likes

Morning, Martin.
Hope this posts finds you and your loved ones well.

Thank you. Kind of you to say so.

Martin. How often do we as inspectors gloss by defects and deficiencies?
Personally, I suspect I do it with every home I inspect. Remember though, and rightly so, we are not doing technical exhaustive inspecting and moreover, technical reporting.
I am at a point now where I can spend 7 plus houses writing a detailed report. I know I can double that if need be.

This Trip Fall Hazard, so many of us overlook, can be easily negotiated to clients without sounding alarm bells.
We are paid to help clients understand the property they wish to purchase. It’s our fiduciary duty to do so.

1 Like

I see we got our report. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I would consider this normal. Exception: The landing or floor on the exterior side shall be not more than 7 3/4 inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold provided the door does not swing over the landing or floor.

1 Like

The OP’s picture seems to show an exit on to a patio. With the aluminum threshold and the step it looks to me that it is near that 1-1/2" maximum from top of threshold, so the trip hazard is moot. It would be a standard around here to keep the grade surface down 1-1/2" just to keep water away from the door threshold.
I would not see this as a problem. “Pick-up your feet” LOL

4 Likes

I agree with Martin…without using code.

1 Like

It’s not a step if it is 1-1/2". I have 2" coming out my front door.

1 Like

It is not uncommon in my area to see similar leading out to a patio or deck.
I only recall noting it in a report once when the threshold and deck were painted the same color. It blended in with the deck and it was easy to miss the 1-1/2" difference.

1 Like

The elevation difference (step) is there to keep the elements out (dirt, rain, snow). It is very common and a good building practice. The height will vary from the door’s threshold sitting directly on the leveled plain between the indoor and the outdoor to the maximum ~7-8". There is no minimum required, you can call it out as a trip hazard as if you wish, it will just make us shake our heads at you :astonished:

4 Likes