Deck inspection limitations

Marcel I can check later but the product was wood.
They had nailed in the ledger and this was posted originally right here 2 days later (need to search 2010 sept)as I went on site and took lots of pictures as they had not done the instigation yet. (but I did):slight_smile:

You instigator you…:stuck_out_tongue:

Ha ha

a couple more shots for now.

[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

Bob, the siding under the vynle is what is called Insulbrick.

As a rule, tar paper and Insulbrick were applied over wood siding. Insulbrick was the preferred choice for replacement siding until aluminum and vinyl siding became available in the late 1950s. Asphalt siding was available from the 1930s to about 1960.
Now I go back to what I said about several decades old.
I guess it is. :mrgreen:

http://eureka4you.com/home/SidingInsul.htm

insulGrey.jpg

Oh I could have told you that right away if you meant exterior wall cover.
Thought it was obvious but I guess you guys in all parts of the country do not see it .

Just asphalt based siding but most by now is pretty old.Not a bad product if they had come out with better design options.

Nice link and has good graphics though city of Chicago has a great one since the deaths in 2003.

Not sure if you did a video but a detailed video would be great for the subject.

Randy,

I think it’s a well worded disclaimer, by and large, with one exception. I’m not a fan of the following phasing “make an attempt to point out visible deck defects” and would be inclined to substitute something like “will inspect for and document defects that are readily accessible and visible…” The “make an attempt” phrase strikes me as a bit too weasel worded for me.

Those of us who are not engineers (me included) would probably want to tweak the last paragraph.

I think that older homes that originally did not have decks were built with “fly by night” handymen or DIY’s…but those I can easily spot simply by the quality of the cuts they make, the design, etc.

Many of the framing components I look at are easy to spot simply because I have been actively framing since 1978…like anything that you are well versed with your eye will gravitate to the out of ordinary.

Again, Im not saying one should not be concerned with deck but rather I personally do not disclaim then unless I can not see the framing system due to low clearance or some other obstruction such as a nailed lattice skirting. If I can’t see the flashing then I annotate that in the report along with the purpose and importance of proper flashing.

Finally let me say for those who do not know…all nails will eventually corrode including galvanized nails…it usually starts showing up after about 5 - 7 years…those should be addressed as well.

Jeff

Said that pretty well Jeff.
I don’t imagine that there are too many decks left that were built in the 60’s, but back then there was no pressure treated lumber in my area nor any type of hanger.
The only thing that saved the ledger was the gaps in the cedar shingle siding that acted as weep holes. :mrgreen:

I don’t remember building decks with my father when we had vynle siding, but do remember when we had the 12" Masonite and the Color-lok siding.
The siding would stay on the house, and my father would cut a spacer to the right bevel and keep the ledger away from the siding at least 1/2" or more.
That seemed to have worked well, but never had the opportunity to see how long it lasted.

Anyways, today and for the past few years, we have all had the opportunity to take these fine video instructionals on new decks and makes me wonder what newer HI’s do when they encounter an old one that is still funtioning and showing no signs of failure or pulling away from the structure.
How do they call it out? If still functioning as originally designed but does not meet todays standard, does it make it defective?

Joist hangers and pressure treated lumber were not around for ever.
But lag screws go back a long time. And I believe the good old builders used many of them.

Just curious how people call it and how much in depth they look to see if it is defective or appears to be adequate or recommend a structural engineer to evaluate. :):wink:

Here’s a fun video.

Yep, and not an old one at that. The front carrying beam let go on that one and I am sure it pulled out the ledge from what I could see, but still attached to the house.

Investigative reports on these failed decks would be an excellent training material for all.
Wonder if something like that is available somewhere.

We always see videos or pictures of failed decks, but nothing regarding why it failed.

Thanks Jim. :):smiley:

Bad design is bad design and in Chicago it will be written up by both myself and the AHJ.

Just because it is standing means nothing.
See my other post showing a deck collapse with people on it.

People are injured or die every year from crap construction.

See JB posted it also here.

I guess I might be saying this wrong Bob.

What do you say about a deck that is not up to todays standards, and there is nothing wrong with it other than the fact it does not meet todays standard built. ??

I say your deck collapse and many more before, just asking a question.

Because it does not meet todays standard using PT and hangars, it is considered a defect?
That is my question. :slight_smile:

I call out lack of PT, lack of metal connecting brackets and or lack of sufficient support in the understructure regardless of when it was built.

Exactly and no different from any other defect we write up that is substandard.
Just because they built 3 layer brick doesn’t mean they were smart but means they had less knowledge as to other methods and true scientific testing.

You saw the pictures of old porches that fell Marcel and almost every time it was because of not doing anything past nailing the ledger board.
I have 3 story porch decks that people hold parties on and would you say that old 4x4 with a one bolt splice is sufficient…hell no.

The porch is still there sitting its posts on the patio concrete and the stuff is cracked but it is still there so is that OK?
Back in the day 4 inch spacing minimum was not required so should I ignore the fact a child can fall?

How many times in the past before hopper windows were required to have a limit on them did we read about kids falling to their death out high rise windows?
Easy to forget all the stupid accidents in the past and only remember “gee they sure built things solid back then”

As with many things we inspect with older homes, I think its a matter of using common sense.

I inspected a home that was over 100 years old last summer where upon the home was sitting on stacked rock piers that were in good condition due to the elevation and grade of the home.

I simply stated that the current condition of the foundation was satisfactory however it would be wise to inspect same annually to ensure its continued longevity.

That my friends is really the key to ensuring a home will last for decades if not centuries…inspecting and maintaining a home annually and/or after adverse weather conditions.

BTW, when PT first came out the manufacturers only warranted for 5 years.
I installed a free standing deck in the mid 70’s for my parents… it is still standing today.

Bob does have a point about safety but let me also ask how many of your will call out laminate floors or any slick surfaced floor?

I call them out all the time…not that I am calling them unsatisfactory but I put a section past my Summary Page that deals with such useful information.

regards

Jeff

My clients have a right to know about every single deficiency I can find.
Since my report is not 2 pages long I can explain in detail what each one means and how important they are to correct in better perspective.

This is also a good reason to have a client with you at your side while inspecting so everything can be discussed.

I understand some guys try and do 3 or 4 a day but that is not how I personally operate.

I do no more than 2 a day…although I know a few guys out of charlotte that will spend a whole 30 minutes on an inspection…they usually have about 5 booked a day…at least when the economy was good.

While I enjoy educating my clients I prefer the client be there just as I am finishing so as to not increase my time … if I know a client will be there in advance then I plan accordingly.