Defect?

Is that pipe dope or Teflon tape?

Still no

Correct Michael, and as we all know, any sealant at all on those fittings is a no no. Flared Fittings, are Compression fittings, and are to be made up without any dope/tape. Sealant will make those fittings more prone to leaks.

Just curious how many others knew that. It appears it is just you and me Michael.

PS pipe dope is not as much of a problem in gas lines as teflon tape is, the tape wont drop out in the sediment trap/drip leg.

Perhaps you are getting your pipes and dopes mixed up! :twisted::wink:

So, do you always ‘assume’ there is “dope” on the flare, when you see it on the exterior of the fastener? :neutral:

I think most of us here understood the ‘flare’ part. There is nothing wrong with applying dope to the threaded part of the fastener. Consider it as “Loc-tite”.

Prove me wrong. :twisted:

You are funny. pipe dope and Loctite are two completely different things, that is hilarious, pipe dope is loctite…

Pipe threads, or tapered threads need sealant. Threads on Flared fittings do not work that way and if there is sealant on the threads it usually means it was installed by a Carpenter. :twisted: or an AC tech with an IR Camera…ahahahhahahahahaha

http://www.dormont.com/dmc/uploadedFiles/res/ResourceCenter/RES_instructions.pdf

Elementary Watson Still No

I always call it out, it is an indicator of an Un Professional Installation.

Those connectors should be replaced and installed correctly. :slight_smile:

If you zoom in it appears at the rear there is no dope, Perhaps it is just a smear. It is kinda hard to tell from a picture. did you check all around it Brian?

Wayne, do you consider it a defect, pipe dope on flared fittings?

No chit, Sherlock!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am very well aware of what the compounds are, and their intended usages. :roll:

Appearantly, you’ve never inspected a farmhouse, or other such structures, where for decades they are pieced back together with whatever is laying around. :shock:

I am still awaiting your evidence that applying dope on the threaded portion (only) of a flare nut is not allowed. (no dope on flare itself). :twisted:

Here are the different fittings:

fitting-compression.jpg

fitting-flare.jpg

both types are “Compression Fittings” :slight_smile:

Single flare, double flare, ball flare… yadda, yadda, yadda… :mrgreen::mrgreen::smiley:

The threads in a flare fitting are NOT tapered and do not need to be sealed.
The seal is between the flared end of the pipe/tube and the tapered face of the other side of the fitting.
All the threaded collar does is supply force to create a seal between the opposite tapers of the two ends.
Putting anything in this taper results in a worse seal, not a better one.

But if you want to install it your own made up way Jeffrey, please continue…

Hahahhahahahhah

Still, some may want to see what a flared fitting looks like. You know, how they are different. :smiley:

Brian,

You do know I am Jeff and not Bob, right?

I understand all of what you are saying, and even some things you are not! I thoroughly understand flare fittings, pipe fittings, tapered threads, etc… and how they operate. I worked for Caterpillar in the machine shop making hydraulic hoses for a spell. Hated every minute of it, but learned a hell of a lot!

Work with me here… post a link showing me that dope on the threads only of a flare nut is not allowed. Not “shouldnt” be done, but is stated that it is not allowed.

Btw… I am not saying you are wrong for calling it out. Just trying to squeeze all the facts out into the open, so others may make their own educated decisions on how they report this, if and when they run across it.

:D:D

You only asked a simple question do you call it out or not. Only if leaking do I call it out. Long time since we spared BK how you been good I hope, met Old Duff in Indy last month he is a mover and a shaker for sure:D:D I will get you over on the HVAC thread and talk trash perhaps about electric furnaces and amp meters just so Bushy can talk SOP

All good here Charley. :slight_smile:

Straight threads on Flare fitings do not provide the seal, so only knuckleheads apply sealant there. :wink: What would be the point of applying sealand where it is not called for??

Usually when somone puts sealant where it does no belong is because they did not handle the parts with care durring installation.

Or the do not know what they are doing??

Either way it is GAS PIPING and I believe it should be installed correctly…:smiley:

PS there is no manufacturere that I know of that tells you to use anything on the threads of Flared Fittings when making the joint…

[size=3][FONT=GaramondThree]:smiley:

[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

He knows it is you from all the babbling.yada yada yada.