Solderless Crimped Copper Pipe Fittings

I can’t say I’ve ever seen these before. Just thought I’d share…




I’ve seen an entire in floor heating system plumbed with them.

Thanks Jeffery it is posts like this that help all homies… Roy

I see them, typically for repairs.
They are called shark bites around here.

I see nobody actually watched the video…

They are not shark bites.

They are a crimped fitting.

I’ve seen the epoxy lininig system. Most common in my area is Ace DuraFlo. However, I’ve never seen it used on copper piping, nor have I seen the crimped fittings. Thanks for the link Mike.

I’ve seen the solder-less fittings and for a short time I saw them here at Home Depot. They didn’t sell well I guess and now they sell the shark bites.

Those fittings are made by Viega. They use an o-ring. The crimp is applied by a special tool that is purchased from Ridgid or a few others.

My company has utilized this sytem since 2001. Not exactly new technology.

In my fine state of IL, home inspectors are not allowed to inspect plumbing. Licensed plumbers and or Certified plumbing inspectors are the only folks allowed to inspect plumbing.

As evidence on this BBS shows, home inspectors do not posess enough plumbing knowledge to know whether a plumbing system is code compliant or not.

I have enjoyed reading the threads in this section. Unwitting comic relief is the best kind.


**that is called a pro press fitting

by vega the fittings are made by nibco

the tool by ridge tool co.

But plumbers are qualified to make framing ‘adjustments’…

And I have inspected behind licensed plumbers that can not pour piss from a boot with the directions on the heel

Home inspectors do not inspect according to code (bare minimum). We inspect to Best Practice, big difference.

Also, all plumbers, like home inspectors, are not created equal.



Just a different terminology is used thanks to the overpriced Plumbers Union that keeps residents in dark ages if it will help keep members employed.

Same reason Illinois was last to allow PVC drain components.

“Plumbers are not qualified” to cut structural lumber and yet seem to do it with regularity.:mrgreen:

Below is an excerpt from Illinois SOP

When, pursuant to the written agreement with a client, the plumbing system is observed, the home inspector shall describe in detail the interior water supply and distribution systems, including fixtures and faucets, drains, waste and vent systems; water heating equipment and vent systems; flues and chimneys; fuel storage and fuel distribution systems; drainage sumps, sump pumps and related piping; and location of main water and main fuel shut-off valves.****

The Union lobbied to have the word “inspected” changed to “observed” just so a guy like you can come here on a Home Inspectors forum and insult us.

Since as Chris mentioned we don’t do code, did you have some point in making that statement?

Just remember you are not a Home Inspector and must keep any inspection you perform within Plumbing systems if that is your License or risk breaking the law and being reported.

Do us all a favor. Go to hell, and stay there.

Thanks for the report we all are eager to learn and would welcome a polite well train Plumber to come on board to offer his advice unfortunately it looks like you are not the one .
I am sure you know a good well trained plumber who has this ability .
We have many great electricians who visit us and they are very helpful.
Maybe some day when you become an experienced well trained journey man you might like to to visit us again .

Why be a plumber when you can be a home Inspector? **** runs down hill . not really a rocket science . I had 2 jobs that had mostly plumbing defects . (Example no vent) same day . Instead of being a *** crack , Enlighten us . we all work together.

Hey dumb f u c k ILLINOIS PLUMBER. Is this where you found us. Good thing you figured out how to register here.