Determining the roof percentage

For a FL wind mitigation report, the roof geometry needs to be listed. If most of the roof is hip but has more than 10% some other geometry, it does not qualify as hip. My question is, when determining the roof percent that is not hip, is it calculated by the perimeter of the roof including the flat roof which is covered patio that is attached? I it seems a shame that someone has a completely hip roof and because they add a screen porch off the back that is flat and length is more than 10% of the perimeter of the roof that they don’t get the hip roof credit. See photo attached of the patio cover attached to house with tile hip roof. Thank you for confirmation if I am doing this correctly, as the last wind mitigation that was completed indicated it is a hip roof.

Rear porch metal roof - no.
Rear porch flat rolled membrane roof - yes.

It all depends on how the roof is attached. If it was added after the home was built, and attached to the fascia, it does not count. Just think of it as, if this flat roof gets torn off in a hurricane, is it going to open up any of the existing roof

1 Like

Thank you all!!