Difference in disconnect sizes

Originally Posted By: ahalstead
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Here is the scenario … there is a lot with 2 mobile homes and a garage. Electrical service comes in underground to an exterior wall of the garage with 3 meters on it. One meter for each mobile home and one for the garage. The electrical exits each meter through a service box with a 100 amp disconnect in it. Each meter has this. service then proceeds underground and enters the mobile homes. The mobile homes each have a 200 amp disconnect inside their panel. why is the disconnect at the meters so much smaller than the ones in the homes? Is it to ensure the power company equipment is protected? Especially if something happens underground between the garage and mobile home?

thanks

allen

Originally Posted By: cbuell

Allen,

If I read you right, it is most likely that the wire size to the trailer panels is only rated for the size of the disconnect at the meters rendering the 200amp breakers at the panels meaningless. Are these panels treated as sub-panels? with separated neutrals and grounds?

Yes, the panels in the trailers appear to be your typical panel. There is no evidence from inside the panels in the trailers that they are being fed off of a seperate “panel”. It appears to me the exterior one is acting as a disconnect. But with a 100 amp disconnect, it is ensuring that any fault that may bypass the interior panel over 100 amps is caught by the disconnect at the meter.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’ll bet that if you check the panel ratings at the mobiles, they’ll only be rated for 100 amps (even though they have a 200 amp breaker). It’s very uncommon for a trailer to have a 200 amp service.

I would guess that someone tried to sell them as having 200 amp service as a "wow" factor.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

Much to my surprise the panel WAS rated for 200 Amp …

perhaps the power company installed this service prior to the arrival of the trailers and used the 100 amp "primary" panel as a disconnect ..

Originally Posted By: jpope

ahalstead wrote:
perhaps the power company installed this service prior to the arrival of the trailers and used the 100 amp "primary" panel as a disconnect ..

Seems logical.

Unfortunately, the 200 amp panels will never be used to their potential as their feed is limited to 100 amps by the service.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738