Disconnect in panel was upside down - is this legal?

Never seen this before.

Panel was installed in the dining room, apparently upside down, among the myriad of other problems in this panel, I’m curious about the disconnect, to turn the main disconnect “off” you have to flip it up.

Is this installation the allowed?

Thanks!

Why wouldn’t it be? Lettering on the breaker clearly indicates its status.

1 Like

According to the NEC, no.

Part VII. Circuit Breakers
240.80 Method of Operation. Circuit breakers shall be trip free and capable of being closed and opened by manual operation. Their normal method of operation by other than manual means, such as electrical or pneumatic, shall be permitted if means for manual operation are also provided.
240.81 Indicating. Circuit breakers shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open “off” or closed “on” position. Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally, the “up” position of the handle shall be the “on” position.

4 Likes

Most likely installed long before the code change.

That language does not appear in the 2017 or before NEC so unless your house is brand spanking new Joseph is right.

2 Likes

240.81 first appeared in the 1975 NEC, this is from the 2005 NEC:

VII. Circuit Breakers
240.80 Method of Operation
Circuit breakers shall be trip free and capable of being closed and opened by manual operation. Their normal method of operation by other than manual means, such as electrical or pneumatic, shall be permitted if means for manual operation are also provided.
240.81 Indicating
Circuit breakers shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open off'' or closed on’’ position. Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally, the up'' position of the handle shall be the on’’ position.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses.

I learned something new today.

1 Like

I just sent out a revised report.

At least one thing, it makes it less risky of flipping off the main breaker when pulling the panel cover off.

Is this the main service or equipment panel? If it happens to be the same place that the grounded neutral conductor is bonded to the grounding electrode than neutrals and grounds can share the same bus.
I see double taps.
Lots of food here.

It’s not a sub-panel, although there was one in the basement. That 100 amp upside down breaker is the service disconnect.

I rotated the photo and the problem was solved. :grin:

5 Likes

That would be a no…LOL!

1 Like

That explains the lack of 15 amp lighting circuit OCPD’s.
Thanks.

So if this panel were from 2003 then the installation would be okay?

Doesn’t need to be rotated its horizontal - and Yes I know there is no clearance round the panel.

1 Like

Short answer, no. This requirement has changed slightly over the years.
This is from the 1965 NEC:

240-17. Enclosures for Overcurrent Devices.
(c) Vertical Position. Enclosures for overcurrent devices shall be
mounted in a vertical position unless in individual instances this is
shown to be impracticable.

1984 NEC:

240-33 Vertical Position.
Enclosures for overcurrent devices shall be mounted in a vertical position.
Exception: Where this is shown to be impracticable and complies with Section 240-81.

2002 NEC:

240.33 Vertical Position
Enclosures for overcurrent devices shall be mounted in a vertical position unless that is
shown to be impracticable. Circuit breaker enclosures shall be permitted to be installed
horizontally where the circuit breaker is installed in accordance with 240.81.

4 Likes

So it was in fact against code for years. This, however does not answer the original question - is this legal. Two things could very well make it “legal.” Code adopted for that jurisdiction excluded that particular item or the AHJ who inspected it passed it as acceptable.

In any case it is very unlikely that anything will be done about it because agents and sellers are fond of saying, “…It worked just fine.” It does not seem to me to be a significant safety problem. Should it be included in the report? That’s certainly up for debate, we are not code inspectors.

These kind of code changes have more to do with the manufacturer than the installer and are rarely adopted without the input from the manufacturers. This installation was obviously intended to be installed as pictured.

I can remember seeing many of these installed and approved, of course I stopped working in the field back in the mid 90’s. So I’m going with my original post saying that it met the local standard at the time. Again, I’m not a code inspector.

Passing inspection does not mean it met code. It just means the inspector ok’ed it. Inspectors overlook and miss things all the time.

4 Likes

Zactly! … …