Dishwasher drain set up.....

This is the dishwasher set up I found today…excuse the picture, not the greatest…

The white pipe on the right is the dishwasher drain…the drain from the dishwasher is inserted into the left side of that ‘Y’…and the right side of the “Y” is open…

any problems with this…

70CheesemanLakeCircle 035.jpg

no pic tony

OOPs pic up now :frowning:

Couldn’t tell, where does it drain to? doesn’t look right to me though

I’m most concerned with the open pipe on the right side of the “y”…it the drain goes down into a proper p trap and into the drainline like it should…but is the open “y” ok?

I certainly wouldn’t think so, as if the trap were to dry up, exhaust gasses would escape

Looked it up: may discharge directly to a trap, trapped fixture, branch wye tailpiece on kitchen sink,or garbage disposer…IRC2717.2,3
but i’m sure that open end is no good

Agreed…looks wierd eh?

maybe he forgot the air valve?

It’s a oversized variation of a vacuum break a’la PVC piping but the vacuum break is normally above the sink bowl. Hence the system is probably not what the MFG of the dishwasher had in mind. The MFG installation instructions should be the guide first with the AHJ modifying it as they see fit.

Was this an island install?

Not an island…regular old sink…only house I have ever seen without a garbage disposal too…

That would be after the air gap or backflow preventer. . .

P2717.1 Protection of water supply. The water supply for dishwashers shall be protected by an air gap or integral backflow preventer.

**P2717.2 Sink and dishwasher. **A sink and dishwasher are permitted to discharge through a single 1.5-inch (38 mm) trap. The discharge pipe from the dishwasher shall be increased to a minimum of 0.75 inch (19.1 mm) in diameter and shall be connected with a wye fitting to the sink tailpiece. The dishwasher waste line shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the counter before connecting to the sink tailpiece.

The open wye is also wrong. . .

Thanks Jeff…this “defect” turns out to be the least of the troubles of this house…I called it out though. Now I know why I did…lol.

Actually Tony, I just remembered, CO code is based on the UBC (UPC in this case).

UPC 807.4 No domestic dishwashing machine shall be directly connected to a drainage system or food waste disposer without the use of an approved dishwasher airgap fitting on the discharge side of the dishwashing machine.

Tony,

This is actually a correct installation, I don’t like it either but is “up to code” The design is in place of a typical air gap one would see at the top of the sink. The open end on th “y” is the air gap which ensures there is no cross connection of waste water going back into the dishwasher. I would like to see the open ends above the bottom of the sink in case the drain backs up and call out if it is below the sink.

Hope that helps, you’ll see alot of these in newer homes.