Distance Education

Originally Posted By: Keith Silvas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I took a Home Inspection Distance learning course through PCDI (professional career development institute) which was approx 6mo. long. The course gave detailed information on plumbing, hvac, electrical, and structural aspects of residential dwellings. Does anyone Know of anyone that has had this type of training or how it might be looked upon if I were to approach a home inspection company with the diploma of completion looking for an entry level position as a home inspector. I just want to be able to maybe assist in inspections in the field first to get some on the job training since I believe I have the “book smarts” behind it. I know it cant be done with book smarts alone which is why I’m not even going to attempt to advertise my services independently. Hypothetically speaking, any idea if this type of distance learning would be reasonably accepted or looked down upon? I’ve passed the Online examination, but again that’s just book smarts. Sorry the long post. I’m just a newbie really interested in getting into the field. The only experience in construction I have is working on heavy equipment, although I have worked with builders in the past, but nothing very technical. Any comments are appreciated.

Keith Silvas

Originally Posted By: dbush

Keith, come to Missouri and I will be happy to have you work with me. I took the same course in 1998. Yes you can use that, of course it will be looked down upon by other inspectors, but that is because “My school is better than your school”. It is not looked down upon as a course, just the fact that it was different than other people did.

Book learning is great as long as you can learn to apply the book learning. Take what you learned in that book, now go buy another different book, and take what you learn, then go buy a different book, etc. Each time you read a chapter in the book, go inspect that portion of your, your brother, your sister, whoever's home. Then learn a new chapter, then go inspect that section on the same homes. Pretty soon, you might actually find that you learned something you didn't know.

Get all the book and classroom training that you can, but NEVER sell your education short. All education is good education, even if it being hit by a 2x4 upside the head to learn something, because I bet next time you won't have to be hit before you remember it.

Good luck and if you have any questions, please contact me.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Keith - Just out of curiosity, you had the largest and most well known home inspection training school in the country right in Oceanside where you’re at. They offer monthly classes in HI year round with both classroom and a hands-on lab - Why did you not go through them.

Dan Bowers (Kansas City)

At the current moment I’m living in Ventura County, Camarillo to be exact. I don’t move into my Oceanside residents until March 1st. I did not know of the school of which you speak but I will be sure to check it out once I’m there.

by the way, whats the name of that school? Do they have a website?

Originally Posted By: Jack Lowe

Hey: I don’t believe you can go wrong with any type of education. The first bit of material that I have always received when I have taken any classes is a BOOK. You will always get some type of study material, that is if it is a real class. As you can see, you never stop learning. I have never seen anything bad ever come out of anybody trying to do something right. Besides, from what I have read on this NACHI site, you will have no choice but to become a top notch inspector. If you stay a member of this organization, that is what will be in your future.

Good Luck.
Jack Lowe[/b]

Originally Posted By: markgoupil

hi,i am a gas fitter working in ontario,canada and have choosen to expand my careeras a home inspector. i am currently taking a home study program from srtatford career institute just wondering why you chose pcdi over other choices is one better than the other? the home study courses are the exact same courses offered at many colleges the only difference i found was price.any info or feed back appreciated.

Originally Posted By: cradan

Keith, the school in Oceanside is ITA (Inspection Training Associates). Also has offices and training facilities in FL, VA, IL, CT. Their web address is:

http://www.learn2inspect.com

Toll-Free: (800) 323-9235

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

markgoupil wrote:
hi,i am a gas fitter working in ontario,canada and have choosen to expand my careeras a home inspector. i am currently taking a home study program from srtatford career institute just wondering why you chose pcdi over other choices is one better than the other? the home study courses are the exact same courses offered at many colleges the only difference i found was price.any info or feed back appreciated.

Welcome to the high risk career of inspections. I teach several online courses at Humber College for the Home Inspection program, and additionally for OAHI. AGREED - with few exceptions, it takes much more focused effort to succeed with out of school training, and additionally a critical components is the field inspection - practical inspection skills. Now that not all bad - in fact most inspectors work on their own.

As far as price is concerned - many fail to compare the cost with the actual time (number of course hours) and actual learning objectives provided by an individual course. As an example some colleges/programs offer 32 - 40 hours on structures while others may cost almost double, but cover 90 hours of training from basics to advanced. Now take that over 6 or so course modules such as plumbing, heating, electrical, building science, ethics, report writing and so on - and the bottom line cheaper is not always better.

Another point being - what "standards of practice" does the school adhere to? Can you use your education to join another association and be recognized as a "registered" home inspector, or some other recognized trade certrification. Think of organization such as TSSA - they have standards for their certification and training.

From a risk point of view course cost may short change the benefits of intensive training. But with all due respect each person is entitled their own choice of education - but don't get short changed. Getting sued for a poor inspection is never cheap! So from a practical view point - invest wisely in your education - it will save you more problems later.

At least thats my POV and I am sticking to it.

Cheers, Claude in Windsor

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: Daniel Mailhot

I am nearly finished my Home inspection schooling with PCDI and very happy with the information they present and the way they have one pursue the course. I would however like to know of more schools which offer distance learning that would help be better educate myself for a career in the home inspection field. I know you can learn alot at this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: dfrend

If you are looking for distance education in a unique format designed to help those on fixed budgets and those who need instructor-student communication, stay tuned a few days for an announcement. There will be benefits to those who are NACHI members or planning to become one.

Originally Posted By: Beth Donald

Thanks for all the comments on this posting! I’ve been searching the web for a HI distance training program and haven’t been happy with any that I’ve found. I hadn’t come across PCDI. Interest free financing at $34 a month really works for my budget! So, how have people liked the course and the school? I’d be very interested to know since they have other programs I’d be interested in as well.

Hi. I tool the PCDI course and I found the material to be presented very well. Each topic goes very in depth. The only thing that kind of sucked is with the last shipment they also sent a career guide to help you land a job. Well, i dont know about you, but of the 80 home inspectors within a 25 mi radius of my house are independent business owners, nobody even wanted to give me the time of day. One guy i called told me Im wasting my time trying to get into this industry and that no one would let me tag along even for free just so i can see what goes on. Seems like a business you either have to no people in, or just go for it yourself because it looks like slim pickins if you think you can take a course and just enter a company as entry level. But I wouldnt trade the knowledge that i gained in the course for anything. It was well worth the cost.

Originally Posted By: dharris

4 years ago I did the PCDI home study course.

After futher research I found this course provides the bare, bare minuimn training.

Like stated by others there is nothing better than taking a class room training course.

I found the ITA home study course far more advanced and informative along with support and they also offer a ride along program with there previous students.[ Yes you do have to pay, but there is no better way of learning than following an experienced inspecter after completing any course]

As far a expecting inspectiors offering free ride alongs, wait till you spend $15,000 to 20,000 PLUS to get started, endless training, studying and waiting months to get that 1st inspection before critizing other inspectiors

I found my best investment [300.00] after having a clue what was involved in this business was to hire a experienced inspector to do my home

You get what you pay for and looking for the cheapest course and training from other inspectiors for free doesn't fly in this high liabilty business.

Just My 2 cents

Dan Harris
Inspect Az www.inspectaz.com

Originally Posted By: Beth Donald

My concern has been the 100 inspections after training as well. I want to get into real estate investing but don’t want to pay that $300 every time I get a slight interest in a property. On the other hand, if I’m going to go through with the training myself, why not follow through to getting my license. I’m researching becoming a real estate appraiser as well since it seems there’s opportunity for entry-level jobs there before starting my own business. This field does seem to be a hard nut to crack. I want to train in both professions but I don’t want to put my money down until I know the school will provide the training I need. Does anyone know of HI classroom courses in Maine? So far, I’ve come up empty. Thanks!

i wasnt suggesting looking for the cheapest training or freebies…just trying to do what i cant with my budget. be a 21 year old married man with no experience and unstable work, this is hard to do. Not trying to send the message that people should be looking for the cheapest way of doing things

Originally Posted By: Dave Koloskee

Hi all,

this is my first posting on any site. In a way it's a little comforting to know there are lots of others out there also struggling to find their way in the HI field. I'm currently on the fence re; buying into a franchise or going it alone. If I go it alone, I'll need to find an excellent 1 or 2 week classroom training program to get the ball rolling.

Any recommendations out there FOR or besides ITA?
Anybody ever used AHIT? (American Home Inspectors Training Institute @ www.ahit.com)
Or Building Specs Inc?

look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dave Koloskee

Originally Posted By: tallen

What state are you in?

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Dave Koloskee

Tim,

I live in Erie, PA. (where the sun rarely shines)

Originally Posted By: bemelander

Dave I attended AHIT and thought it was a very good school. They are in well over 10 states now.

But I have also heard alot of good from ITA.

Good Luck

Bill

Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com