Do requirements exist for septic location...?

I am trying to find out if code requirements exist as to the proximity of a septic tank to the actual footprint of a home? Like say, does a septic tank need to be within 10ft of the improvement it serves? Or can a tank and leach field be placed wherever it needs to in order to perc and then the home be built whereever so long as it isn’t ON any part of the septic system. I’m talking in general, of course. Can’t get anyone on the phone at the local planning dept today and can’t find our county’s septic installation guidelines online anywhere.

Thanks.

there are requirements forthe location of a septic field/tank they tend to lean more location in regards to the water supply and neighboring supplies (well pump). I would definitely wait and talk to your local planners since each area can be different. I know that’s not the answer you want but it is the best.

soil tests and septic designs are regulated by local but their designs/locations can vary from one another within those guidelines… However, I imagine there are some minimums and maximums… I will check with my septic inspector for some guidelines as well… I have a septic systems DVD which I won on the BB the I have not had the chance to view yet which may have some insight as well… Put out by Show Me How videos www.showmehowvideos.com

That kind of tells me what I need to know honestly. I certainly figured any min/max distance from the home or surrounding water supplies would be a local deal…they must be ina meeting or all out in the field today or something. lol I just wasn’t sure if there were areas around the country where it existed based on distance from the house. If there were/are, then it would at least be a possibility here, which was pretty much the basic guidance I was looking for before even getting a local ordinance officer on the phone…if ever I can.

Thx for the replies.

Yes, there are minimum’s and maximum’s, although the maximums are usually not an issue in most cases. And yes, they vary from area to area. I am accustomed to the tank being “minimum” 5 ft from structure, drainfield/leachfield “minimum” 100 ft from wells and surface water, etc… Check with the local “Health Dept.” as this is usually the gov’t dept that oversee’s on-site systems.
Jeff

Online Tables of Required Well Clearances to Site Features

US-HUD/FHA Well Clearance Distances

US-HUD/FHA Distances from Well to: Note 1 belowProperty line10Septic tank50Absorption field75 (may be modified based on local conditions)Seepage pit75 (may be modified based on local conditions)Absorption pit75 (may be modified based on local conditions)Sewer line10 if line has permanent watertight joints Other sewer line50 Chemically poisoned soil25Dry well50
TABLE NOTES:
Distances are in feet unless otherwise stated
-1 Distance from source of pollution - proposed construction, US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, FHA, Local acceptable standard No. 3, June 18, 1992, Ref. Hud Handbook 4910.1 Chg 1, Appendix K, Pg K-27 These tables give typical required clearances for septic tank, soil absorption system (SAS), etc. but you will see that different authorities may recommend different distances. These distances are for conventional onsite waste disposal systems which specify clearances presuming that effluent is being disposed-of after minimal treatment such as is received by a septic tank or cesspool. Advanced onsite wastewater treatment systems, such as those described by Jantrania and Gross (2006), permit substantial reduction in these clearances, depending on the level of treatment achieved.

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency EPA Well Clearance Distances

**US-EPA Distances from Well to:**Septic tanks50Septic leach fields50Livestock yards50Silos50Petroleum Tanks100Liquid Tight Manure Storage100Pesticide & Fertilizer
Storage & Handling100Manure stacks250Water supply piping to Septic Tank/Field10TABLE NOTES:
Distances are in feet unless otherwise stated
EPA references above and for other EPA information see Well Construction and Maintenance [Details to Help Avoid Well Water Contamination] US EPA

**US-EPA Distances from Well to:**Septic tanks50Septic leach fields50Livestock yards50Silos50Petroleum Tanks100Liquid Tight Manure Storage100Pesticide & Fertilizer
Storage & Handling100Manure stacks250Water supply piping to Septic Tank/Field10
US-HUD/FHA Well Clearance Distances

US-HUD/FHA Distances from Well to: Note 1 belowProperty line10Septic tank50Absorption field75 (may be modified based on local conditions)Seepage pit75 (may be modified based on local conditions)Absorption pit75 (may be modified based on local conditions)Sewer line10 if line has permanent watertight joints Other sewer line50 Chemically poisoned soil25Dry well50

Septic System Clearances from Wells, Buildings, & Other Site FeaturesMin. Separation FromSeptic TankDrainfieldLagoonMass.Title 5.UPCGeneral.EPAGeneralFLMOMANY…Structures to Tank/SAS-10 ft
5-MO
15-bsmt-MO5 ft100 ft8 ft-10 ft-Structures to Sewer Line -------2 ftProperty line to-5
10-MO10755—Neighboring residence–
–200----Water supply piping to-101010----Water supply piping
under suction-10-100----Non-potable water well–50-----Water supply well 505075-10050–Public water well–200300-100 ?-50Cistern - definition—25----Spring-50-MO-100----Streams-50-2550–50Swimming Pool - see details-15-MO-100----Large Trees-10–?—High water line of lake etc–75-----Soil Absorption System above
groundwater (water table)-----4–Soil Absorption Sys. Min Area------150-Tank cover soil backfill min/max-6"-?"–12"-24"—Intercept drain
up-slope—10----Intercept drain
down-slope—25----Edge of surficial sinkholes—500----Embankment top or
Cuts >= 2ft hgt—20----Other SAS exc repair area—20----Cesspool Clearances and SpecificationsCesspools min. freeboard-----6"–Minimum volume -----1/2 day–Separation from Surface Water Supply-----100–Separation from private well-----50–Separation from private well, bad sample-----50-100–

Ok I have your answer with graphs but the graphs dont post.
Use this link to Insepecta pedia.com awesome website for information.http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/clearances.htm There are also graphs on well distances on the site if you google his site.

Here are the requirements for the state of Indiana. Individual counties/towns may modify these to fit their needs.

Septic.JPG

Does this mean we can’t use the foundation drain as a field line any more? :shock:

I had one the other week where the foundation drain ran into the a drain box with a surface grill on top where it was hooked up to the main sewer line with an open discharge. Hillbilly ingenuity.

why waste pipe?

No pun intended??? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, #hit I didn’t mean that!

Ooops, there I go again! :slight_smile: