Do think the National Certification Good or Bad for us?

Mario:

I don’t need that certificate or any other one. It’s great to have #NCA00001 because it was the first. However, it won’t bring me one dollar of income because I am all but retired now. I have a very successful business with three employees who do most of the work.

I don’t care whether or not every inspector has one. All I care is that I am among a group of (now a few hundred) inspectors who have chosen to avail themselves of the first truly valid and recognized National Certification in Canada.

I’m very proud of that and the work I have done to make it available to everyone. It doesn’t adversely affect me one little bit if no more NACHI members sign up. It’s their loss and a big gain of more work for those who chose to apply and join the list of ‘Holders’ who will be sought by banks, insurers, relocation companies, realtors and government agencies like HRSDC and CMHC.

Bill Mullen

Bill

The cost is outrageous. And then you have the discrimination factor.

Bill

P.S.

Discrimination in terms of costs and I’m also guessing affiliation.

Bill

Its understandable you are proud of your accomplishments I would be too, but its a misnomer to suggest that HRSDC, realtors, and CMHC, et al, will be only recommending National Certificate Holders particularly if there are insufficient numbers of NCA holders to fill the request. Its all in the numbers.

Just for comparison purposes…

When OAHI was granted PR158 all the talk was how great it would be and how it would change the profession for the better in the eyes of the public, banks, lawyers, realtors, et al, and that non members would be left in the dust. Well we know since 1994 since RHI was introduced in OAHI things have not changed. Banks aren’t recommending OAHI Inspectors only, nor are Realtors, bankers, lawyers, et al because its only a self regulating body made up of voluntary membership. Today we see the same kinda talk from CAHPI, and the same unfullfilled promises OAHI made.

Free market conditions will come into play, along with the inability for the National to meet the demand that does not exist for its services at this time and likely in the future. Pie in the sky.

Then where does all the money go that is being paid my the applicants for RHI?

Vern

Thats the question I am asking, because OAHI can’t account for its finances. There is no effective advertising, and never has been. Anything they attempt in that regard has been a disaster. You can’t get timely answers from OAHI office, BOD, and other committees. They can’t even enforce the misuse of RHI because to enforce it would cost at least $35K for each breach they prosecute. The Registry of Members is not accurate, the whole association is farcical to say the least.

The National Certification has nothing to do with the RHI. They are two very different certifications.

Bill Mullen

I agree. It’s all in the numbers, and as it looks now, we’ll have the numbers to handle the demand. At the moment we have enough people qualified (not all have their certificates yet) to do 7 -10,000 inspections a month and there are enough additional inspectors now in the program to do another 20,000 to 30,000 per month. The CMHC media announcements have already started, and within one month you can expect to see major announcements of support from some very large non-governmental national organisations.

It’s all falling into place. I don’t think of it as a win for only CAHPI…it’s a win for all legitimate, competent Canadian Home Inspectors. We are now getting the recognition and respect that we’ce coveted for years.

Bill Mullen

Anything worthwhile costs money. This certification process is costly to operate because inspectors are processed carefully and their claims checked. It is also very much easier and less expensive to check the credentials of CAHPI members. It’s a one-time expense that will pay off quickly for those who are successful.

NACHI had an opportunity to make the cost less but they chose not to participate in an ‘Equivalency evaluation’. I asked several times for some cooperation, and it was always refused. Had they agreed to allow the NCA to compare the NACHI requirements to those of the National, it would have been much easier to process NACHI member applications.

Within the next twelve months the NCP will be run by Certificate Holders who have been elected to their positions by fellow ‘Holders.’ If there were enough non-CAHPI ‘Holders’, many of the seats at the table could be taken by non-members of CAHPI.

The fee schedules were not just thrown together. They were carefully calculated and then sent to government for approval. They have been given the blessing of government right up to the ministerial level, so they also believe them to be fair.

Bill Mullen

Bill

Carefully calculated? How do you figure. Caphi members will be subsidized by non-CAHPI members. I know what you are going to say they payed into it for years but the reality is we/I as a non member of CAHPI will in fact be subsidizing CAHPI MEMBERS. No thanks!

And Bill worthwhile things are sometimes FREE or at least reasonable[fair] in
cost.

The numbers have been scrutinized closely and approved by government representatives to ensure fairness. What more can I say except that CAHPI members shouldn’t have to subsidize anyone else ?

It’s a voluntary certification. If you don’t want to pay your fair share, you don’t have to apply. Everyone is welcome to apply, but we’re encouraging everyone to make their own decision, and we’ll respect that.

Bill Mullen

Bill

You should have been a Lawyer or a Politician.

Enough to do 10,000 inspection per month? Wishful thinking I think.

If that is the case OAHI will be irrelevant as will Nachi if the trend you allude to continues. I don’t see that happening given the current state of affairs of the politics being what they are.

Less than one-third thinks that licensing is good. I commend the remaining majority of you!

Please share your wisdom with those who need it south of your border.

James,

Correction, its not a poll about licencing, its a poll about a national certification which is voluntary administered by a self regulating body that has no legislation, therefore no bite, no power but the power it granted itself.

Oh. Sorry. My bad.:roll:

James

I’m having second thoughts about this Licensing BS.

It all boils down to who should dictate your business decisions for you? Your market or your government?

James, go to your room. :wink: