Do you think ICC should be req for HI's??

My thoughts are that we are bending over the wall on this one

A lawyer worth his salt will research our background including our grade school report card – If we have ICC in our history we are knowledgeable in this area and have to let our client know of any issues

If they were to look in my background they would see that I am very heavy in electrical and I better have my *** covered

I can always say I cheated on a test or too

rlb

Hello Louis,

Is it a code compliance inspection?

I would say No it is not. A code compliance inspection should be performed by someone that has authority to enforce the code.

Do you sight code for each defect found?

I try my best to have a code reference for each defect that is found. It makes it more than just your opinion by referencing the code. If you can not find a code reference then it had better be something in the plans or the engineered drawings.

I use three things on new construction inspections. The code, building plans and engineered drawings. The code gives me the bare minimum that is required. The building plans tell me what is supposed to be there. The engineered drawings tell me what may be exempt or changed from the code.

I would highly recommend that you look at the new construction software that Inspection Depot just came out with if you are planning on getting into the field of new construction inspections. It is the best program I have seen for new construction.

Richard,

I don’t believe that anyone thinks that ICC should be a requirement for the average home inspector.

I think the debate is rather about other business areas that may be open to those with code certifications, certainly when discusing new construction phase inspections code knowledge is required.

Personally I do not believe that code knowledge or certification increases anyones liabilities, in fact the opposite would have to be true, increased knowledge of building systems and components has to reduce the liabilities of inspectors.

Lets no loose sight of the fact that we all refer to NACHI or other standards of practice when performing regular home inspections, those standards specifically exclude issues of code compliance.

Regards

Gerry

Can we have it both ways??

I am still trying to get a colection of Min. housing standards for most of the towns around here — It is sort of a local Building code

Greg give us a sales pitch on the software from ID

rlb

I am ICC certified, and feel that it compliments my experience and training in other areas. We all know that a code inspection and a home inspection are two different inspections that do have some common ground.

The fact that ICC has a proctored exam might let the wind out of the sails of some of the rival HI organizations that always point this out (not that anybody has to prove anything!)

I am ICC Certified as a Building Inspector… I think it just depends on the State. California like many other states has licensing or insurance requirements for home inspectors… which is really surprising, in a sense? I think it would be a good thing, in that it would knock out more competition, and guys that call themselves “certified inspectors” that should not be inspecting… but that’s just my 2 cents.

Oooops! I meant California HAS NO licensing or insurance requirments…sorry, I am still waking up!

QUOTE: I am a ICC Certified as a Building Inspector END QUOTE.

***To ******Officer ******Justin Watts, ***
Hi Justin!

I think that you had better contact the International Code Council right away. There seems to be a problem with your membership. They do not have you listed under any category whatsoever.-X

I tried to look you up under Certified Member, and then Certified Building Inspector, and then just “Building Inspector.”

They all came back as “Sorry** - No records were found that match your search” **

Then just to make sure I checked “All Categories.” and came up with“**No records were found that match your search” **

**I did find a Watts, ****Randall A. in San Jose Ca. but that is 394.1 miles from your home, and I did find a ****Kenneth Watts in ****Hesperia Ca. but that is 80.9-miles from Rancho Santa Margarita. **

By the way, none of these two gentlemen are CertifiedBuilding*** Inspectors. :roll: ***

Justin**, there seems to be a problem with the people who keep records in California.**

In an E-Mail dated **03/21/06, 5:56 PMyou first told me that you were a Police Officer, and then when I questioned you as to what city you served told me that you were a “Peace Officer.” **

**Since you live in Orange County, California I called the Sheriffs Department and they looked you up. Guess what? Two different “Watch Commanders” told me that there was NO RECORD of you ever having been either a Police Officer, Peace Officer, or Sheriffs Deputy in the state of California! **

**So……The ICC records indicate that you are not a QUOTE: “A Certified Building Inspector” END QUOTE: or even a member of any type whatsoever! :—) **

**So once again, in order not to look like you are lying , I would suggest that you call ICC and the Sheriff’s department right away and have them correct their records! :roll: **

Member Information:

Last, First MI
Watts, RandallA

Company:
Fulcrum Mechanical Inc

Address:
1001 Newhall St

**City, State Zip: **
San Jose, CA95126

Phone:
(40 554-8711
(40 554-8717 (FAX)

Membership Type:
Professional Member

Member Information:
Last, First MI:
Watts, Kenneth

Address:
9252 Harbin Avenue

**City, State Zip: **
Hesperia, CA92345

Phone:
(760) 221-1785

Membership Type:
Cooperating Member

Search for a member: (JustinWatts**) **
**Sorry - No records were found that match your search.:shock: **
Try using alternate spellings, or be less specific.

Top of Form

**Name: ****Watts, **Justin (Type a few letters)
(Last, First or Company Name)

City: Rancho Santa Margarita, State: Ca.

1-949 331-2602 Phone, Area code first)

Member Category: All Categories

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5619&stc=1&d=1158570568

Frank,

I am certified with ICC, you stand CORRECTED!
here’s the link:

http://www.iccsafe.org/e/showcert.html?stateInfo=bjJjpuvalnKHbjhj5507|3&certrow=1

just put in my name: watts, justin and I pop up under the “search for certified inspectors” I am certified, I DONT JUST PAY FOR THE MEMBERSHIP AFFILIATION… I am really glad that you care so much about me.

Take Care,
Justin.

Frank,
You owe me an appology… but I won’t be holding my breath!
:slight_smile:
HAVE A NICE DAY!
JUSTIN.

http://www.iccsafe.org/e/showcert.html?stateInfo=jakJciCmlIbXijTn5865|4&certrow=1

if you type in watts, justin… you will see my as I am registered in Santa Margarita…

Hi Justin!

Last night I went to the ICC website and signed into the “Members Only” section. I typed in Watts, and then Watts, Justin, and your name did not come up. Several times I typed in your name, City, Sate, and phone number. I looked under ALL categories, and the other two “Watts” came up but you did not.

Tonight I tried the 1st link and it did not work. This one does.

Certified Professional Information:

http://www.iccsafe.org/images/cornerul.gif

http://www.iccsafe.org/images/cornerur.gif

Last, First MI: Watts, Justin Certified under
this name: Justin Watts Work Phone: (949) 858-3348 Certification Type(s): Building Inspector UBC (expires 12/30/07

**QUOTE: **
**I am certified, I DONT JUST PAY FOR THE MEMBERSHIP AFFILIATION. END QUOTE. **

This clears up the ICC issue.:wink:

http://www.iccsafe.org/images/cornerll.gif

http://www.iccsafe.org/images/cornerlr.gif

The Orange Country Sheriffs Department has all of the records for Police Officers, Peace Officers, and Sheriffs in California. They still do not have you listed.:shock:

They have a “Watts” who was listed as an “Auxiliary” officer but it is not you.
Prove me wrong and I will apologize.

Frank,
I am a MAN of my word… I would not Lie about my ICC certification, and I proved you wrong… And I would not Lie about being a Reserve Police Officer… I already proved you wrong about ICC… now why would I want to share with you what Police Agency I work with… so you can contact them!!!

I recall my first post of the home inspector pimp, the guy that had the record for dating the most realtors made you very upset… and that’s what started all of your “researching” actions.

I am what I am… I have nothing else to prove or say…

I was originally trained in a franchised inspection system. The watchword was “never mention codes”. Because this was a bit convenient, I translated that as “never learn codes”. Since I really didn’t know a whole lot, this let me think I was an inspector for a long time before I came to see more clearly.

I’m not a code book thumper, and code never enters client conversations or reports, but the ICC Certifications I have earned have repaid the work required a thousand fold.

It’s opened the door to new work opportunities, added strength to my resume and website, increased my confidence, and enhanced my chance to work with and get to know some truly great professional inspectors.

Regardless of how useful the program is for licensing or continuing education, it a a great knowledge resource for any inspector wanting to rise above the lower levels of the profession. I recommend the ICC program highly.

QUOTE:
now why would I want to share with you what Police Agency I work with
END QUOTE

Justin,
That is the whole point. You stated that you are a "Police Officer **then when challenged **you changed it to “Peace Officer”.

Now you are a “reserve” Police Officer?

You live in Orange County California. The Orange County Sheriffs Department has all of the records for the **ENTIRE **State of California. This includes any law Enforcement Officer, whether active, inactive, retired, “Reserve” or auxiliary . They say that you are lying.

Justin, If you flash a badge to your customers, or tell anyone “face to face” that you are a “Police Officer / Peace Officer” then you have committed a felony and you can and will go to jail.

I have your E-mail stating that you are a “Police Officer”:^o then …oops:oops:…I am a "Peace Officer:-k , now I am a “Reserve” Police Officer.:roll: "

I get it…Maybe you are a** Secret Agent with the CIA,** and you cannot reveal your TRUE Identity! :roll:

Whatever Frank… you really are crazy!

I never flash my badge to anyone, that is something I would never do… unless someone wanted to see it. A Police Officer, and a PEACE OFFICER is the same thing! Sorry I confused you… and in California Reserve Police Officers at Level II status, are (sworn) peace officers… or Police Officers, if you are confused…

Obviously you have to fill your self-esteem with your titles below your name… Don’t you think you are a little FULL of YOURSELF…

It is amusing reading your posts, I have to give you that!
:smiley: :wink:

Frank, Do you still live on Blossom Road?.. its beautiful in your area.

Nope. Sold the house in 1999.

Hi Justin!

I guess that the Orange County Sheriff Departmet is confused. YOU claim to be a “California Reserve Police Officers at Level II status, are (sworn) peace officers… or Police Officers” or some such thing. Here is just one of several responses that I received from the people who would have “Sworn You In” and who would know if you are a phony or not!

> Date: 2006/03/26 Sun PM 11:57:42 PST
>To:
americandream1@cox.net, , Tboyne@ocsd.org

**> Subject: **JUSTIN WATTS, Police Impersonator
>
>March 27, 2006
>From
, Lieutenant H.Miller

**> Watch Commander, **
**> Orange County Sheriff’s Department, California
>
>Quote:
>
>Sir
, I have reviewed the message that you forwarded to my office.
I have ****also reviewed our employee roster and was unable to locate a Justin Watts. I suggest that you contact the appropriate authorities in your area of jurisdiction for additional action(s). **
**> Thank you very much for your concerns. **
**> **Lieutenant H.MILLER

On different occasions I contacted the Orange Count Sheriff’s Department and they did a search on all active, inactive, retired, and “Reserve / Auxiliary” officers.

**The name last “Watts” did come up as an auxiliary officer, but YOU {Justin} were NOT one of the two people listed. **

*In his E-mail to me Lieutenant Miller makes it very clear that you are lying. I guess that now you are going to call Lieutenant Miller a Liar? ***