Does it need a Dirt Leg? (condensate trap)

Rinnai R85e- outdoor install 6 feet from the meter (approximately) Installation instructions do not specify one.

http://www.foreverhotwater.com/pdf/r85e-io.pdf

901 High Nest Lane 090.jpg

MAybe I should move this to Memebrs Only… :mrgreen:

No, but what about the galvanized union upper left connected to brass. I would have thought that union would have to be brass?

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, and as such should be a good match for galvanized steel.

Remember the “relative area effect” of the contact areas has a lot to do with galvanic corrosion.

I wanna finish the report so I’m going with ‘recommending a dirt leg for the flex line to the gas pack in the Lennox AHU, but not on the Rinnai’…

Last chances to dissuade me :wink:

edit: Thank you Ray for the No …

i believe dirt (or drip) legs should be installed where the gas line enters the mechanism on the appliance.

Some boilerplate from my report software (likely borrowed from a K. Swift posting at some point :smiley: )

“These traps, also called dirt pockets, drip legs, and dirt legs, protect the gas valve and regulator from rust, dirt, and scale that form on the inside of the gas line. The International Fuel Gas Code states that” … a sediment trap shall be installed as close to the inlet of the equipment as practical. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting with a capped nipple in the bottom opening of the run of the tee, or other device approved as an effective sediment trap." Manufacturers instructions from (manufacturers name) also require their installation."

But I only use it where I know it to be required and the .pdf for Rinnai didn’t make any reference to them… and it is installed right next to the meter.

Soooo… I left it off the report.
I’m still in Research Mode on the tank-less water heaters…

you should check with the local gas company to see what they say. Generally, gas that is “wet” should have a drip leg regardless if the manufacturer states it or not.

Is that a flex connector or CSST? I cant tell from the pix

CSST with brass nuts and protective grounding wire.

Much research has been conducted on the prevention of fires when using CSST. Connectors for coupling the CSST to gas lines and appliance are affixed at each end of the tubing. These connectors are made of a conductive material (such as brass nuts here). Conductive ground wire, (It was about#8 AWG copper on this Rinnai), provides a direct electrical contact between the end connectors.

From what I understand the ground wire can be either a single wire or a wire mesh. If an electrical charge goes to ground via the CSST, such as from a lightning strike or an appliance short, the majority of the current is carried by the conductive wire rather than the CSST itself, thus preventing damage to the CSST from the current.

My reports never mention that word!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: