"Double 200 Amp fuses?"

Originally Posted By: bdowd
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Did inspection on single family home where power came into garage through masthead, into main disconnect panel then to basement panel. Inside main disconnect panel were two 200 amp breakers. 400-amp service? icon_eek.gif Should be only two 100-amp breakers. Correct.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Bruce

Not enough info.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: bdowd

Well its like this. Power coming into house goes to main disconnect panel, the one with double 200-amp fuses. Throw switch type panel. From there goes to 2nd power panel Located in basement. That one supplies power through out house via circuit breakers and has own 200-AMP disconnect in panel. My question is that I’ve seem main disconnect panels with double 100-AMP fuses but never one with double 200-AMP fuses. From pole to house is gray 200-AMP wire, and from main disconnect panel to panel in basement is gray 200-AMP wire. My question is are those double 200-AMP fuses correct and proper icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: psabados

Bruce

Lets see if this makes it a little clearer. Overhead service lines from the pole to the service mast and weatherhead. Mast running down the exterior wall to the meter and meter can. Next to or just under, an exterior rated service panel with a 200 amp. disconnect breaker (or is it a knife switch type of throw)? No other breakers located in this panel? From this location the power lines extend to the basement to another breaker panel with its own disconnect? What is the service wire rating, and the panel ratings? What was the rating of the meter on the wall?

How old was the dwelling and any time indications as when a possible upgrade may have occurred?

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005 T-minus 226 and counting!

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bruce,

It sounds like you are questioning whether it is ok and/or proper to double up on the protection of equipment with two different sets of fuses or breakers and the answer would be yes. It is ok, just more costly.

If I am understanding you correctly you are saying the first set is located at a disconnect in the garage and the second set is in a main breaker panel in the basement. Again, it is ok, just one of the more costly methods of installation. I am assuming of course that both of those were using the correctly sized wires.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mpatton

I will ad another spin to this with what I have seen around the Northern KY area.

I will see a 200 amp main breaker on the outside of the dwelling near the meter base with the primary service panel also having a 200 amp main breaker. The qualifier for this appears to be how many feet from the point of entry to the main service panel from the meter.

I have not looked for a code applicable to this but the intent I presume is that if the service wire is 20'+ across a basement ceiling to the location of the main service panel. An opportunity is presented for a tradesman/homeowner to damage the service cable and have no circuit protection between the meter and the service panel, It appears that the intent of having the initial 200 amp located close to the meter base is to provide the circuit protection for the additional length of run to the service panel.

Hopefully I explained my thoughts so that others are on the same page. Am I correct in my opinion?

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: Scott Wilson

If it’s wired like this, it’s OK, and is a 200Amp service.

![](upload://kiHqnEVtl20uqwLL2zJr8jXjxnn.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Scott,

thanks for the illustration…You’ve just proved once again one picture is worth a thousand words…In this case perhaps a couple thousand.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Congratulations Doug. That was our 50,000th post! You win…

http://www.nachi.org/50000.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: cmarshburn

congrats Doug icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Nick,

Thanks a lot for the mousepads. As soon as I figure out what all I want on them I will get in touch with Ken Trice. You are a great guy no matter what these other guys say about you.