Double keyed dead bolt

Is there a rule against having a double keyed deadbolt on an exterior door? Seems like common sence not to due to having to egress a building in an emergency and needing a key to do it could be hazardious to your health. Cant find it in my codecheck book and it comes up from time to time.
Thanks

Yes not allowed… except in a home with a person who has memory problems .( Alzheimer’s example )
.defiantly a safety hazard example a fire in home

Thanks Roy. Do you happen to know from what i can quote on that issue?

Sorry I am a retired old timer Homie and did not use codes …Not in my sop.

Try this from Google http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3640.html

Always called out as a fire hazard.
Against code at rental buildings here however understand they may not care.
Some have glass on the door and they worry about break ins.
Used to see at drug dealer houses years ago in service industry and they would lock me in while working.

Thanks Roy just what i needed!

Quoting code is a mistake.

Understand what the code says and why and then express our concern in your report.

Your client can decide.

1 Like

Yes ! as you say.
I would just address the safety concern .

It is a safety concern, but I have seen this many times (I always address it) but if its on a rear door with a window nearby or in the door, some folks putt a double keyed lock for security. They fear someone breaking the window and unlocking the deadbolt by reaching around.

Still call it out as a safety egress issue.

I try to never stand on code. I did address the safety side and further added the code just to nudge the client. If someone died in a fire because i was afraid to point out strongly a hazard that could kill Id feel like crap. If it happens and i did all I could to avoid it well still a tradegy but my conscious is clear.

How can this cause a fire?

Be nice Jeff. I think we all know what he meant. :wink:

Copied this from someone on the MB.

One or more exterior egress doors use "keyed deadbolt locks " on the inside. Although commonly used for security against intruders, this is not a good practice, and can obstruct or impede egress out of the home in case of an emergency. Some building standards require egress doors to have keyless operation from the inside. For safety purposes, all exterior locks on egress doors should be thumb-latched on the inside.

Todd - I’m a code inspector. Here is my report comment …

One or more exterior egress doors use "keyed deadbolt locks " on the inside. Although commonly used for security against intruders, this is not the best practice. For safety purposes in case of fire, all exterior locks on egress doors should be thumblatched on the inside.

Not code violation in ky as key can remain in the lock at all times . I will mention this as a good practice, to leave key in lock but do not call it a deficiency. Some codes have changed this in many states.

R311.1 Means of egress. All dwellings shall be provided with
a means of egress as provided in this section. The means of
egress shall provide a continuous and unobstructed path of vertical
and horizontal egress travel from all portions of the dwelling
to the exterior of the dwelling at the required egress door
without requiring travel through a garage.
R311.2 Egress door. At least one egress door shall be provided
for each dwelling unit. The egress door shall be side-hinged,
and shall provide a minimum clear width of 32 inches (813
mm) when measured between the face of the door and the stop,
with the door open 90 degrees (1.57 rad). The minimum clear
height of the door opening shall not be less than 78 inches
(1981 mm) in height measured from the top of the threshold to
the bottom of the stop. Other doors shall not be required to
comply with these minimum dimensions. Egress doors shall be
readily openable from inside the dwelling without the use of a
key or special knowledge or effort.

Seems if you have one door meeting the egress code then the others are not technically egress doors and thus aren’t in violation if double keyed… Yet it is still not wise, I would not call it out as more than a noted function that needs special attention to insure the key is never removed.

If you think (special attention to insure the key is never removed )
Then why have a double lock???
If in case of fire this is the only way to leave the building left I wonder how many could unlock the door in a panic condition .
I still feel poor idea to have ( except in special conditions ) a two key dead bolt lock

:smiley: I know where he was going, but to report it as a “fire hazard” would be completely inaccurate. It should be reported as a “potential entrapment hazard.”

The only comfort in people’s minds of security in having a double keyed lock, is the posibility of an intruder breaking the glass and opening the door.

So, they are sacrificing their lives on not getting out of the house during panic of a fire in the house fumbling around finding the keys, while all the intruder had to due is break the window next to the door and get in and do the same thing.

Double keyed lock is stupid and unnecessary.

http://www.thelockdoctoronline.com/images/Deadbolt.jpg

Locks are for honest People, no need to lock yourself out from safety in an emergency.
:):smiley: