Double tapping the main lugs

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone have a reference for the double tapped main?

I know there is a host of other problems, not to mention the burnt mark.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/Inspection%20161.jpg ]

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Chuck,

I’ve looked for that before and not been able to find it in the NEC. If it’s in there maybe one of the NEC gurus can help. I think it may be left to the manufacturers’ instructions to forbid it, although a few branch breakers are actually designed for that.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I don’t know the specific reference, but I can say that the circuit in this case has no overcurrent protection.

This is what I refer to as a "direct tap" (unprotected circuit). The double tap would be the second priority IMHO.

I would also be sure and mention the apparent scorching.

![](upload://sElFDTkWECCEiaWTKlRMdkr9wuO.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

How about the mixing the alum (service entrance wires) and the copper tap? Can’t see photo well enough but I’ll bet there is no past.

Also on the 240v tap I would have used the black and red not the black and white. Check the other end and see if the white is identified as a hot. Again I'll bet not.

The service appears to 100amp. The wires for the tap are not properly protected from overload. Even if they go to a sub panel with a breaker, if there were mechanical damage to the wire causing it to short the breaker may not pick this up.

[img]http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/0572 - subpanel wiring disconnect by subpanel.gif[/img]

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I reported all that was said. As far as I can tell the tapping is for a sub panel at a detached garage. Thanks again,

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

The catch all for double lugging is the fact that a terminal must be listed for more than one wire (like a QO breaker). This one is not. (110.3(B))

You also have the issue of dissimilar metals 110.14 and the fact that these become service conductors so you must meet the article 230 rules.

How far do you want to go?

You can tap a service but it is not for the timid if you want to be legal. This ain't the way ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

It is a lot better if they tap on the line side of the service disconnect. Then it is just a feeder tap and the rules are easier to follow.

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

What about all the oxidation on the breakers? If you scroll down on the picture you will see this I would write the whole panel up for replacement by a qualified electrican not the bozo that did this one and also possibly take a look at the drip loops by the servece head to find out where the moisture is comming from.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

In addition to the double tap and dissimilar wire material, the NM cable wouldn’t have protection at the point of supply (IRC E3604.7 or NEC 240.21 as a guide).

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

Along with all of that, how about the size of the wire. That is a big one. The wires appear to be undersized.

You can also tell if the lug is rated for 2 wires by looking at the top of it. If it is approved, it will have an oblong or oval shape. If it is not it will have a round hole. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)